A very cheap (economical) domed lid.

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: A very cheap (economical) domed lid.

Unread postby leosardinha » Thu May 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Dicko wrote:
Andy wrote:I've made a lid the same as those posted here. I'm not too concerned about condensation - it's just a cheaper version of the Speidel lid, so if it's good enough for Speidel, it's good enough for me.

Totally agree Andy, Speidel actually have a seal for their dome so there is no liquid that escapes.
I have done a bit of reading on DMS and apparently it leaves the boil reasonably quickly after the boil starts however because of the precursor remaining in the wort it can be caused by a long lag time between end of boil and chilling and this was stated as the main cause of DMS in home brewed beer.

So, the day has come for me to sample my Continental Pilsener that I brewed with the dome to test its operation and to see if I had any DMS.
As I type I am drinking this beer and it is as clean and crisp as any sample of that style that I have had with no detectible evidence of DMS.
My only fault with this beer is that I have ever so slightly under carbonated it.
I kegged and carbonated the entire brew and then bottled the lot to take away tomorrow on a weeks fishing trip so I really cant add any more carbonation but it is still a fine beer.
Now after the last few brews using my dome I have readjusted my boil off figure in Beersmith down by 260mls on an 80 minute boil.
I am extremely pleased with this result.
:beer: :cheers:

With that said I may try to just place the lid and do the same test for DMS.

I also had a 3v system and the thing that most bugged me was the boil not being vigorous, I hope it will be more vigorous now.
leosardinha

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Thu May 15, 2014 7:36 pm

I know some with 3v systems that have cut their kettle lid so that it only partially covers the boil to achieve a similar result.
Before the larger more powerful gas burners became easily available in Aus it was a good way to achieve a vigorous boil.
Many brewers who use converted 50litre beer kegs only partially remove the top leaving a smaller diameter hole than the diameter of the keg.
I personally wouldn't cut my BM lid but if you could find something that partially covered it then it would do.
To be honest, the mixing bowl is a very cheap alternative to the ^ $300 that the genuine dome costs even if you take a half an hour to cut the hole in it. :D
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Thu May 15, 2014 7:54 pm

I was searching online to see if I could locate a serving bowl to use for this DIY project. I have to chuckle when I found this one on the page with many others stainless bowls priced from US$3 - $8...
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/eurodib/658035/p371400.aspx

golden_bowl.jpg

... for a mere $251. Don't worry, it's a bargain; marked down from $417!

Unread postby Dicko » Thu May 15, 2014 7:59 pm

That is as expensive as the genuine dome from Speidel. :lol:
Then you have to cut the hole in it.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon May 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Here is the lid I use for the boil, it's from a 70l pot that I used in my old 3v system, with holes cut into it, it fits the BM50 perfectly. I fill malt by inverting it and that works well and I can adjust the boil by sliding it off the rim of the BM slightly to reduce the amount of action going on below, I can also monitor the boil just by looking through the holes. I also have a bowl with a hole for when I get some sort of extraction set up.

I'm not sure the Spiedel domed lid would be any easier to use or provide any benefit - it would be harder to see the boil, more difficult to manoeuvre without a lid handle and I'm not sure if you can slide it around easily on the top of the BM to adjust the boil.

Lid 1.jpg

Lid 2.jpg
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby jeffbrewjubbly » Thu May 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi Tim,

Any concerns over DMS boil fail on your lid?

Cheers,
Jeff
jeffbrewjubbly

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri May 23, 2014 8:34 pm

I don't detect any DMS in my brews. I get a pretty good boil though, so much so that have have to slide the lid off slightly to keep things from getting out of control !
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:02 am

Guys,
I have done a few brews with the dome lid now and I must say that I am extremely pleased with the results

As I had said earlier I did a Budvar Lager and there was no detectable DMS and the beer was very clear, however I didnt take any pics.

As a further test I have made an Australian Lager with grist being Aussie Pils malt and a tad of Munich 1 to keep the colour as light as I could for the clarity test.

Here is a pic of the result; Sorry, pic to come when I get home on my desktop.

IMG_0672.jpg

I used Brewbrite in the boil at 5 minutes but no other finings at all.

The yeast was S189 and I filtered the beer from the secondary to the keg.
I also turned my kegorator fridge right down to 0c to ensure that there is no chill haze.

If you haven't noticed already, I am absolutely stoked with the results :D :beerbang:
Last edited by Dicko on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dicko

Unread postby Jackson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:10 pm

Anyone think a large colander might work, something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/39057066 ... 0&ff14=108

or

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... CGsQ8wIwAw

Thought the small holes all over might reduce the chances any condensation dripping back

Going to be taking to plunge on a 20litre later this year and just trying to decide what accessories I may need. Would rather not spend £120+ on the official hood I lack even the most basic DIY skills so cutting holes in anything is probably a no go.
Jackson

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi Jackson,
I dont think the colander will allow enough escape of boil off volatiles to be useful.
you could try it and report back but you may find that the boil will be very vigorous. :D
Dicko

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:26 pm

I did this DIY for my BM20 with a bowl from Amazon: Stainless Steel Bowl. (Get the 14.5" model.)

Thanks all for the advice on dimensions. This bowl rests perfectly on top of the BM. I cut a 150mm diameter hole with a Dremel cutting disc and buffed it nice and smooth - be careful of those sharp edges after the initial cut. I put on a pair of wooden cabinet knobs (SWMBO even commented how professional the knobs looked!). I tried using it as a funnel for adding grain, but it was more trouble than just pouring the grain carefully.

Of course, I did have a boil over - caught it while it was still early! I think maybe the cover won't go on until after I see the hot break. I use a hop spider most of the time and still had a vigorous boil despite the cm gap from the hop spider bolts. Evaporation losses remained about the same as without the cover - 3.8 liters per hour.

There is a definite R2D2 feel to the Braumeister now...
BM Dome Lid.jpg

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:08 am

Dicko,

I made mine yesterday using $7.00 bowl from the Reject Shop.

Great idea.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:40 am

Guys,
I would be interested to know if there is any difference with your boil off figures and what is that difference if any?

My boil off decreased by 260 millilitres as close as I can measure. :D
Dicko

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:34 am

Dicko wrote:Guys,
I would be interested to know if there is any difference with your boil off figures and what is that difference if any?

My boil off decreased by 260 millilitres as close as I can measure. :D

Although I thought my boil off remained the same, it appears to have decreased 11%... from 3.8lph to 3.36lph. Only one data point, but it was noticeable.

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:55 am

Nesto wrote:
Of course, I did have a boil over - caught it while it was still early! I think maybe the cover won't go on until after I see the hot break. I use a hop spider most of the time and still had a vigorous boil despite the cm gap from the hop spider bolts. Evaporation losses remained about the same as without the cover - 3.8 liters per hour.

There is a definite R2D2 feel to the Braumeister now...
BM Dome Lid.jpg

Nesto,
The boil over you mentioned may have contributed to the differing boil off figure.
I have measured mine over 5 brews now and I seem to be fairly close for my equipment.

that is one good looking dome mate :D :cheers:
Dicko

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications