A very cheap (economical) domed lid.

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: A very cheap (economical) domed lid.

Unread postby Dicko » Mon May 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Philthebrewer wrote:Just finished modifying my 36cm diameter Ikea bowl for this purpose. The good news is that Ikea sells this bowl globally so there should be no problem getting it. It seems to sit just inside the outer lip of the BM so should allow condensation to run back in.

2014-05-12 10.20.21.jpg

Thanks for all the hints Dicko, especially the 15cm cutout, as I would not want to re-do that cut too many times. With a nice polish up I don't need any rubber on the cut. With some nicely bent (with great difficulty) kitchen cupboard handles set high on the bowl near the rim (thanks again Dicko) I also have a nice malt funnel, see next picture.

2014-05-12 10.20.46.jpg

Now I just have to see whether Ikea can supply me with something to turn into a hop basket...

Phil, that is a great job you have done on that dome, very neat and I like the handles.
Have you used it on a brew day yet?
:beer:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Mon May 12, 2014 10:25 pm

fy0d0r wrote:Cool !

I wish they start selling something big enough for 50L... :roll:

Here is a supplier that sells different sizes

BOWLS

There are many sizes available so you may be able to source the correct size.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby fy0d0r » Tue May 13, 2014 6:22 am

Thanks, the largest there is 47.5cm in diameter, and 50L BM is 50cm AFAIK

Found a local supplier, added 50cm bowl to my wishlist :-)
fy0d0r

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Tue May 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Dicko and Philthebrewer: Very nice.
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby Philthebrewer » Wed May 14, 2014 7:13 am

rocketman wrote:Phil, is that a "BLANDA BLANK" Serving bowl?

Well spotted Rocketman. Indeed it is a Blanda Blank 36 cm serving bowl. It is a bit heavier and more nicely made than the average mixing bowl. Not sure if this makes it better for my purposes or not
Philthebrewer

Unread postby Philthebrewer » Wed May 14, 2014 7:29 am

leosardinha wrote:
wouldn´t the condensation running back in be a problem?

I am hoping that most of what condenses is pure water, not any strange chemicals which I am trying to get rid of. The alternative to running the condensation back would be either to have it fall on the floor or not to have a lid at all. I have not run it for a brew yet but I am guessing you are right and that it will reduce my boil off and I will need to slightly adjust my volumes. It is probably inevitable that if you want to restrict the steam outflow to increase the boil agitation then you will have some condensation to deal with.

I will post again after first use and tell you how it went.

Is it just me or is the BM starting to turn into something strangely resembling R2D2?
R2D2.jpg
Philthebrewer

Unread postby Twonky » Wed May 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Now that would be a mod for me!

Maybe then I will not have to put it in the cupboard after the brew day ;-)

Cheers
:cheers:
Twonky

Unread postby leosardinha » Wed May 14, 2014 4:51 pm

I bought a 50cm bowl for my braumeister.

I will try somehow to tip it on a gentle angle and make a dent on the lower edge so all the drips fall on the same spot.

Doing that I will be able to collect them and discard.
leosardinha

Unread postby leosardinha » Wed May 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Philthebrewer wrote:
leosardinha wrote:
wouldn´t the condensation running back in be a problem?

I am hoping that most of what condenses is pure water, not any strange chemicals which I am trying to get rid of. The alternative to running the condensation back would be either to have it fall on the floor or not to have a lid at all. I have not run it for a brew yet but I am guessing you are right and that it will reduce my boil off and I will need to slightly adjust my volumes. It is probably inevitable that if you want to restrict the steam outflow to increase the boil agitation then you will have some condensation to deal with.

I will post again after first use and tell you how it went.

Phil, I think the condensation has DMS on its composition and if this is true it would not be recommendable
leosardinha

Unread postby tomasnav » Wed May 14, 2014 6:49 pm

Philthebrewer wrote:Just finished modifying my 36cm diameter Ikea bowl for this purpose. The good news is that Ikea sells this bowl globally so there should be no problem getting it. It seems to sit just inside the outer lip of the BM so should allow condensation to run back in.

2014-05-12 10.20.21.jpg

Thanks for all the hints Dicko, especially the 15cm cutout, as I would not want to re-do that cut too many times. With a nice polish up I don't need any rubber on the cut. With some nicely bent (with great difficulty) kitchen cupboard handles set high on the bowl near the rim (thanks again Dicko) I also have a nice malt funnel, see next picture.

2014-05-12 10.20.46.jpg

Now I just have to see whether Ikea can supply me with something to turn into a hop basket...

Phil, could you send me link to ikea web site?

Thanks
tomasnav

Unread postby Andy » Wed May 14, 2014 7:23 pm

I've made a lid the same as those posted here. I'm not too concerned about condensation - it's just a cheaper version of the Speidel lid, so if it's good enough for Speidel, it's good enough for me.
Andy

Unread postby Dicko » Thu May 15, 2014 7:25 am

Andy wrote:I've made a lid the same as those posted here. I'm not too concerned about condensation - it's just a cheaper version of the Speidel lid, so if it's good enough for Speidel, it's good enough for me.

Totally agree Andy, Speidel actually have a seal for their dome so there is no liquid that escapes.
I have done a bit of reading on DMS and apparently it leaves the boil reasonably quickly after the boil starts however because of the precursor remaining in the wort it can be caused by a long lag time between end of boil and chilling and this was stated as the main cause of DMS in home brewed beer.

So, the day has come for me to sample my Continental Pilsener that I brewed with the dome to test its operation and to see if I had any DMS.
As I type I am drinking this beer and it is as clean and crisp as any sample of that style that I have had with no detectible evidence of DMS.
My only fault with this beer is that I have ever so slightly under carbonated it.
I kegged and carbonated the entire brew and then bottled the lot to take away tomorrow on a weeks fishing trip so I really cant add any more carbonation but it is still a fine beer.
Now after the last few brews using my dome I have readjusted my boil off figure in Beersmith down by 260mls on an 80 minute boil.
I am extremely pleased with this result.
:beer: :cheers:
Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Thu May 15, 2014 10:41 am

Andy wrote:I've made a lid the same as those posted here. I'm not too concerned about condensation - it's just a cheaper version of the Speidel lid, so if it's good enough for Speidel, it's good enough for me.

I agree totally, you know some very good breweries agree with us also.
Attachments
aa4.jpg
aa4.jpg (9.41 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
aa2.JPG
aa2.JPG (23.84 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
aa1.jpg
aa3.JPG
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu May 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Dicko,

In another thread you stated..............

Dicko wrote:Since brewing on a BM I have noticed that, when using my old recipes, the perceived bitterness is lower from brews on the BM.
I put this down to the less vigorous boil from the BM.

Now that you are achieving a more vigorous boil do you still think that this is the case?
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Thu May 15, 2014 12:22 pm

The boil on my 3v was very vigorous and as I said my beers were clearer on that system.
I do believe that my bitterness is closer to what I was achieving before and the beers are most definately clearer.
As I said I am very happy with the results so far.
Dicko

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications