A very cheap (economical) domed lid.

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

A very cheap (economical) domed lid.

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:47 am

I thought I would start another topic on the domed lid that I have made. From this topic
I considered it wasn't really a genuine BM accessory so my post didn't really belong in that thread.

First of all I will say that the reason for me doing this exercise was an attempt to gain a more vigorous boil on my 20 litre BM. I didn't do this to vent the boil but only to make it stronger. My theory is that a slightly stronger boil may help to produce a clearer beer.

I really didn't want to spend the $350.00 AU to buy a genuine Domed Lid so I found a domed dish in a caterers supply store that was the same diameter as the 20 litre kettle for a cost of $9.85 AU
I first cut a 75mm hole in the middle of the dome and tried it but I found the boil was too violent and the break material was trying to climb out of the kettle.
I then enlarged the hole to 150mm and tried it again and it seems to work great.

Here is a pic of the dome before I cut the hole and then there is a video of the boil for anyone interested to compare to their boil.

7b9898998e2f994dc8a84afb8e200c1c_zps1d471c91.jpg

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_0612_zpsb5c27ee7.MP4 [ 5.75 MiB | Viewed 5082 times ]

I apologise for the audio as I had the TV going in the background and the video was slightly affected by the steam from the boil, but you may get the result

The first brew I did with it was an Amber Ale so I won't have much of an idea on clarity but the brew I did today in the video was a Continental Pilsener only using Bohemian Pilsener malt so I will have a good idea if there was improvement with the lid.

I will report back in this thread with further results.
Last edited by Dicko on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Re: A very cheap (economical) domed lid.

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Dicko,

Please keep us posted as to whether this helps with the clarity.

The bowl is a great fit. I'll have to keep an eye out for one myself.

I found it quite surprising that even with such a big hole in it made a visible difference to the boil.

Cheers
Andy
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Cervantes wrote:Dicko,

Please keep us posted as to whether this helps with the clarity.

The bowl is a great fit. I'll have to keep an eye out for one myself.

I found it quite surprising that even with such a big hole in it made a visible difference to the boil.

Cheers
Andy

I was extremely surprised as to the increase in the intensity of the boil particularly as you say, with a hole that big.
I don't know if I mentioned this somewhere else, but when I went to the BM from my 3v system I noticed a drop in hop utilisation and I put this down to the moderate boil that the BM provides as opposed to the more intense boil from the gas fired kettle.
I have had to adjust my hop additions when using any of my old recipes and to be honest it is just as easy to start again in some cases.
The boil that I was experiencing with the gas burner seemed to produce incredibly clear beers compared to the BM as well, but these are only my personal observations and are not really backed up by solid brewing theory and science.
I am patiently :D waiting for the result on the clarity and bitterness.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby whitegoose » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:41 am

Link for the bowl you purchsed? The improved boil looks sooooooooo much better!

Also, what tool do I need to cut the hole out o fthe bowl. I don't have a DIY bone in my body!
whitegoose

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 am

whitegoose wrote:Link for the bowl you purchsed? The improved boil looks sooooooooo much better!

Also, what tool do I need to cut the hole out o fthe bowl. I don't have a DIY bone in my body!

Mate, I can't give you a web link for the bowl as I purchased mine in a local catering supply shop, however I will do a look around and see if I can find one on-line.

I used a Dremel with a standard cutting disc. It took one and a half discs to cut the hole and I cut it out around the diameter of what normally would be the base of the dish. After cutting you are left with a sharp edge as the pot is quite thin stainless steel, so to protect my hands I slipped some rubber tubing the same size as I use to hold the top mesh in place on the malt pipe screen onto the edge. You can see that in the video.
Because the dome lid gets Very hot I bought a wooden knob which is actually a wooden foot off what would normally be a cupboard leg and attached it with a S/Steel metal thread screw and nut.
I'll post up another picture soon.
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:34 am

Here is a link to a bowl that will fit a 20 litre BM.
This is the first one I found on the web, I am sure you will find other suppliers but they are pretty cheap.

I couldn't believe I found something suitable in my little home town :)

http://www.wahs.com.au/product.php?id=1406&utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Kitchen&utm_term=Chef+Inox+Mixing+Bowl+S+S+37cm+8+Litre

DomedlidforBM.jpg
DomedlidforBM.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

This is the diameter for the 20l BM
Last edited by Dicko on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:41 am

And the tool to cut the hole

DomedlidforBM004.jpg
DomedlidforBM004.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

DomedlidforBM005.jpg
DomedlidforBM005.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

The cutting disc.....you will need two discs to cut a hole 150mm
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:44 am

And the knob.....mine is wooden but that is all I could get. Any insulated knob would do the job.

DomedlidforBM002.jpg
DomedlidforBM002.jpg (16.49 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

DomedlidforBM003.jpg
DomedlidforBM003.jpg (17 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

Dont try it without a knob....it gets flamin' hot :shock:
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:02 am

Dicko,

With the full 150 mm diameter hole will your lid double as a funnel for filling the malt pipe?

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:14 am

Cervantes wrote:Dicko,

With the full 150 mm diameter hole will your lid double as a funnel for filling the malt pipe?

Cheers
Andy

Yes Andy it sure will, but I remove the rubber as some of the "fines" get stuck against it. No big deal though if you glued the rubber on just lose that small amount or don't put a rubber on at all.
If you are making one to do that as well don't put the handle too high on the dome or it may interfere with it fitting on top of the kettle upside down.
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:27 am

A pic will tell a story.......

DomedlidforBM006.jpg
DomedlidforBM006.jpg (19.53 KiB) Viewed 5050 times

DomedlidforBM007.jpg
DomedlidforBM007.jpg (20.17 KiB) Viewed 5050 times

I actually mill my grain into a square bin and the corner of the bin allows me to pout the grain easily and neatly into the malt pipe so I don't have to use the dome
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:31 am

Brilliant.

Thanks Dicko.

I have a bowl on order.

The square bucket is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Cheers
Andy
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:05 am

Cervantes wrote:Brilliant.

The square bucket is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Cheers
Andy

I use a Kitchen tidy waste bin without the lid....you know the type, one of those white ones that many people use. They come with a lid that swings on hinges and manages to eject half of the rubbish that is intended for the bin. :lol:

I have done two brews with my dome lid on now and I have found that I need to let the hot break form and dissipate before putting the dome lid on.
The last brew yesterday, I let the boil count down by 1 minute from the start and then just sat it on.

It seems to sit on the top of the kettle just fine and virtually nothing comes out from the sides provided that you have centered the dome onto the kettle
Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 am

Looks good Dicko, I wonder if I could find one to fit the 50lt? I know they make big mixing bowls.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 am

That link I posted was the first link I found on the WWWeb.
A bit of a search might set you right mate.
Those bowls are cheap and do the job
Dicko

Next

Return to Modifications