Bacbrewing yield increase disc

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Bacbrewing yield increase disc

Unread postby Lindh » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:09 am

You can read more about the Speidel LOB-kit on my blog (scroll down a few posts) but don't miss my latest post where I brewed with the kit and took a huge amount of photos: http://www.lindhcraftbeer.com/2018/08/lindhs-pils-13/
Lindh

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Bierdude » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:09 pm

I recently ordered the 50L Increase Disk. Francesco was very responsive by email and shipped very quickly (arrived in Ohio, USA three days after purchase).
He now offers the Increase Disk with a choice of the fine mesh (0.9mmx0.9mm) filter disks or the large (1.5mmx1.5mm) filter disks.
The quality of the filter disks is great and they perforated disks vs. the wire mesh variety.
I have one brew complete with the large filter disks and can't say enough about Francesco and the quality of the items.
Bierdude

Unread postby wobdee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Bierdude wrote:I recently ordered the 50L Increase Disk. Francesco was very responsive by email and shipped very quickly (arrived in Ohio, USA three days after purchase).
He now offers the Increase Disk with a choice of the fine mesh (0.9mmx0.9mm) filter disks or the large (1.5mmx1.5mm) filter disks.
The quality of the filter disks is great and they perforated disks vs. the wire mesh variety.
I have one brew complete with the large filter disks and can't say enough about Francesco and the quality of the items.

Good news, I just ordered the 20L fine disk, hope it shows up as quick as yours did. I plan on using mine with the short malt pipe, hope the fine disc will work better in this situation than the large malt pipe that others were seeing?
wobdee

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:10 am

What's the benefits of using it on the short pipe? Am I missing a trick.
mashy

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:35 pm

mashy wrote:What's the benefits of using it on the short pipe? Am I missing a trick.

My thinking is more malt capacity and less chance of grains sneaking through since the disc covers the top of the malt pipe.
wobdee

Unread postby wobdee » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Update:

I received my Bacbrewing fine mesh increase disc in 3 days, brewed with it today with my 20l BM and my short malt pipe. I maxed the malt pipe out at 3.2kg or 7lbs of Pils and Redx 60/40. It fit but was right up to the very top. The mash flow seemed fine, wort was super clear, more so than I've seen with past brews. Not a single grain snuck through so I was pretty happy until I took gravity readings. Like others I saw a decrease in efficiency of 6 points. I was looking for 1.057 and ended up with 1.051. This was the largest grain bill I've tried with the short malt pipe, previous was just under 3kg or 6.5lbs with the original screens and ended up with a 1.052 brew.

So some good some bad, not sure what I want to try next? Maybe try a smaller brew with less grain to see if the malt pipe was just packed too full, the fine screen or a combination of both that could of caused poor circulation and poor efficiency?

Also purchased the Springer filter which worked fine except it left behind more wort than I thought or wanted, almost 2qts so I ended up having to tip it anyways to get what I needed.
wobdee

Unread postby mashy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:33 am

Good, honest review that will help other owners decide.

I have never thought it matters if a bit of grain gets into the brew. For me the malt tube needs good mixing and good flow for good efficiency.
mashy

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:06 pm

I was expecting a little more mixing with the increase disc just because it sits on top of the malt pipe so youd think it would leave more room for the grains to fall back down and mix as the pump takes a break instead of the two original screens that keep the grains smushed together between them?
wobdee

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:40 pm

Another update. I went ahead and ordered the lager 1.5mm disc to get better flow and it works much better. I brewed up a Marzen with 3.2kg of grain which seems to be max with my short malt pipe and my Brewhouse efficiency was back up to 75%.
wobdee

Previous

Return to Modifications