Bacbrewing yield increase disc

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Bacbrewing yield increase disc

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Can you lock the top filter plate from Bac Brewing using only the wingnut (i.e. omitting the locking bar)?
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby tcncc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Dr Jacoby wrote:Can you lock the top filter plate from Bac Brewing using only the wingnut (i.e. omitting the locking bar)?

Yes, that's what I do.

tcncc
tcncc

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 am

Cool, thanks.

Do you use a washer or just tighten the filter directly?
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby tcncc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Dr Jacoby wrote:Cool, thanks.

Do you use a washer or just tighten the filter directly?

Actually no washer, just the nut. There maybe some scratches on the plate, but you do not need to tighten it that much anyway. But I was not happy with the top filter which is '0,9x0,9mm', so i special ordered a top filter in size '1,5x1,5mm'. SO now both the bottom and the top filter is bigger and give a much better flow.
tcncc
tcncc

Unread postby big_o » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 am

On the 50L, you must use washers or grains leak:
Attachments
Tube - Washers.jpg
big_o

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby tcncc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:38 am

big_o wrote:On the 50L, you must use washers or grains leak:

Are you using a cap nut, like in the picture? Can't you use a wing nut instead?

//tcncc
tcncc

Unread postby big_o » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 am

I use the standard wing nut and some washers with a 12mm internal diameter.
big_o

Unread postby Omphteliba » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Doesn't this also solve the problem with wort fountains?

I get wort fountains, when I have too little malt in the tube. When the wort fountains happen I have a lot of malt on top of the fine mesh. I think the fine mesh drops down, and the pump "blows" malt around the mesh and all the fountain "shit" happens.

I know there are also different solutions for the wort fountain problem, but the "yield disc" from bac brewing would help too.
"Brew! There is never enough beer in the world."
- Burghard Meyer on Beersmith Podcast #66
Omphteliba

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Spot on. A few inches of copper pipe on the rod solves that and/or a silicon seal. But I can't see how the bac disks would help?
Last edited by mashy on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Unread postby big_o » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:24 am

Omphteliba wrote:Doesn't this also solve the problem with wort fountains?

I get wort fountains, when I have too little malt in the tube. When the wort fountains happen I have a lot of malt on top of the fine mesh. I think the fine mesh drops down, and the pump "blows" malt around the mesh and all the fountain "shit" happens.

I know there are also different solutions for the wort fountain problem, but the "yield disc" from bac brewing would help too.

The mesh will not drop as it is wedged between the lip and the larger top plate, so in principle it could work.
big_o

Unread postby mfroes » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi,
Have anyone tried the new version ?
it should work the same, right ?

http://www.bacbrewing.com/epages/990497 ... BM50.003V2
mfroes

Unread postby Growler » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:43 am

Hi,

So I received my 20L increase disc on Friday and did a test brew today.

BAC web site says you can go up to 7.4kg in a 20L malt pipe. My recipe was 7.3kg ... 7kg base malt and 300g of roasted barley to measure the colour accuracy.

After mashing in I found it almost impossible to stir the mash, way to thick and no room to stir properly. Anyway I let the mash run for 75 minutes and I was looking for 1.058 and only got 1.047.

When I tipped the grain out there were pockets of grain that had not changed colour and should have with the roasted barley. This confirms that the pump does not have the power to push through the whole grain bed and it must have created veins which in turn validates the poor mash conversion.

Notes:
My crush was course and not floury. I normal get in excess of 85% mash efficiency.

My bottom mesh was the new .9mm BAC screen and the top screen was the same.

I expect the fine screen also restricts the pumps capability to get good flow through the grain bed.

Next test I will go back to the old bottom screen to help with the flow, but I am still a little concerned about the top screen when you have a full malt pipe.

I am not convinced that this is as good as BAC advertise. Simply there is no room for the malt to move when you go over 7kg. Even when the pump stops to seperate the grain, it appears that it stays compacted together, confirmed by the fact that I had large pockets of grain that did not change colour.

I would be interested to hear from anyone using the new increase disc and fine screen and your experience.

Cheers
Growler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Growler

Unread postby Sladek789 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm

I do use the BAC disk on my BM 50 and I'm very happy with it, well made stuff... but I came with the same conclusion, the 16kg malt mash advertized on the website (with a 76% efficiency!) is not much a reality. I tried 14kg and had the same issue as you had, and was 2kg short compared to the 16kg. There is simply no room as you said. I do now max 13.5/14kg to mix the mash well enough. I guess you could do a bit more but with very poor mixing, but 16kg, not sure.
I also curious with the latest Low oxigen BM addition (https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en ... raumeister) which could do a very similar job in a none Low Oxigen use, just the "ring" disk, without the plate.

Honestly, I would still recommend to purchase the BAC disk to anyone asking and it is a good BM addition, but I would lower the extra capacity/efficiency expectation.

My next upgrade are the 1,5x1,5mm filter discs from BAC, both lower and upper disk to ease the flow on the big malt bill. Once my purchase is done and tested, I will report.
Sladek789

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Growler » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Hello Sladek789,

Reads likes we have experienced very similar results, that said I see Speidel say for the low DO plate that you can increase grain bill to "around 7kg" suggesting that BAC's 7.4 is not realistic, I think the sweet spot would be around 6.5 to 6.8 which in turn would have a person ask 'why would you bother' ... I'll do a few more tests and let you know.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Growler

Unread postby big_o » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:49 am

13kg is the sweet point for the 50L, I have not even bothered to go higher as it's clear that after 13.5kg it will be a nightmare.
big_o

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications