Braumeister as a Preserving Unit

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Braumeister as a Preserving Unit

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:23 am

I was bottling some surplus tomatos this evening when our preserving unit died and tripped the electrical safety switch.
For those Aussies on the forum you will be familiar with the Fowlers Vacola system of jars, lids and the preserving unit.
For the rest, the unit is basically a large copper urn with the electric element under a false bottom and a thermometer on the outside.
The jars of fruit (or whatever) are placed in the unit and it is filled with water, then heated to 93C and held for a period of time depending on what's in the jars.

Enter Braumeister!! I inverted the two malt pipe filters, put the jars in and filled with water. Fingers crossed it works-should be fine.

IMG_0615.jpg
IMG_0612.jpg
IMG_0614.jpg
Andy_Chil

Model: 20 litres

Re: Braumeister as a Preserving Unit

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:07 pm

i use the BM in a similar fashion to pasteurize bottles of semi-sweet carbonated cider (to prevent fermentation of residual sugar which results in kaboomy bottles), and it works great.
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Another great use for the BM, so far we have brewing unit, sous vide and now preserving unit :cheers:

Until now, I was under the impression that you could only preserve or 'can' using a pressure cooker and higher temperatures, are these two things the same?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby niels » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 pm

The Braumeister saved the day ;)

Is this process similar to pasteurisation?

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:23 pm

I guess it's some form of pasteurisation. The basics are covered http://www.localharvest.org.au/learn/pr ... rs-vacola/

The process is similar to canning, but I think it also relies on a certain level of acidity to achieve a safe product.
Andy_Chil

Unread postby Twonky » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Yes the acidity in the tomato's will surly help preservation!

We have one guy here in NL who also uses the BM for test batches, he fills the unit with small pans (1l) with different contents and then mashes them "au bain marie' in the BM....

Cheers
:cheers:
Twonky

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:40 am

to BM low temperature 'canners'- please remember that the bacteria that give you botulism can only grow in an anoxic environment with a relatively high pH. pH below around 5.5 is thought to be safe, which puts some tomatoes right on the line between safe and suspicious, so alls i'm saying is check your pH and add a little citric acid if necessary to get it to 5 or high 4's! we in the homebrewing community famously love a bit of botox injection to spruce up our sagging bits and bobs, sure, but let's keep it out of our food!

twonky- interesting idea! i wonder if anyone has tried mini-mashing in vacuum seal bags. not sealed under vacuum, just filed loosely with malt and water and sealed, floated in the BM? probably a PIA
dinnerstick

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 am

Yep. Dinner stick is spot on. Citric acid or lemon juice in tomatos.
Andy_Chil

Unread postby Twonky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Dinnerstick,

Nice idea vacuum sealed 'mini' - mashing for experimentation.

That in combination with 2l pet bottle conicals
http://www.wiki-hobbybrouwen.nl/uploads/pics/20b17e1847c50c73d0589793f487a59b.JPG

I searched to find a way to specify the image size, but couldn't find it and need to leave in a few minutes, so if anyone knows how to specify this, please let tell me ;)

Cheers
:cheers:
Twonky

Return to Modifications