Draining gunk and cleaning

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Draining gunk and cleaning

Unread postby djKlasen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:41 am

HopDaddy wrote:Nice Work :)

Where dit you buy the "The small geared 12V motor" eBay? Link?

Thx.

eBay, yes. Cannot find it anymore, but eBay item no. is 321688201194. Find one with similar specs, mine has 23kg lift one cm off centre. Estimate the maltpipe of the BM50 to about 25-30kg max (grain and water). You can always put in more pulleys to lift heavier stuff, but the lifting speed will of course suffer. No problem, really. Gentle and easy is best.
djKlasen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby djKlasen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:45 am

Is this mod worthwhile? Short answer; yes it is! (The draining valve mod)
Frankly, I would say that if you own a BM50 this is the best mod you can think of!
If some Speidel designer should read this, and you are thinking of implementing it(which you should), put the valve on one of the pump inlets instead of making a separate drain. With the drain near the outer edge of the vessel it is easy to empty the last drops of water by simply tilting the BM an inch to the side.

I need to say that this isn't my idea. I've borrowed the mod and even the pics from a fellow Norwegian BM brewer, Katla. There is no business involved and no copyright per se (as far as I know) so I took the liberty.
Credit should go where credit's due!
djKlasen

Unread postby MattSR » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:54 am

I'm just a little nervous about fitting it all up - would it be possible to see a step by step of how it all attaches when screwing it together..
MattSR

Unread postby djKlasen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:25 am

Well, there's really no magic involved here.
1)Start by fitting the tee to the pump. There is a threaded nipple between the pump and the tee, where one end fits into the pump and the other end in the tee. Be sure to use a nipple without the 'hex' part in the middle, just a straight threaded nipple. The pump and the tee will be pretty close when all is fitted so there is no room for a 'hex' part.

2)The hose nipple fits into the valve which in turn fits into the 'out' side of the tee.

3)Finally the pipe from the vessel fits into the 'in' side of the tee. How far you twist this into the tee determines the distance between the two pipe ends that goes to the vessel. While fitting the pipe to the tee, check constantly (for each turn) by holding it against the vessel connections to make it fit as closely as possible. When you are satisfied and finally tighten the vessel connections it will be watertight.
djKlasen

Unread postby Arbor brewery » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:31 pm

well that is a lot better looking than my wet vac
Arbor brewery

Unread postby squadricus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:20 am

As I make it, the factory piping is BM ( 1/2" half nipple) | 1/2" union | 1/2" street elbow | 1/2" close male NPT nipple | pump | 1/2" close male NPT nipple | 1/2" street elbow |1/2" union |1/2" close male NPT nipple | BM ( 1/2" half nipple), all in either R (BSPT) or NPT. Since we're replacing a street elbow with a female tee, three nipples are needed if the tee is connected to a (typically female) valve.

I ordered the ten pack of NPT nipples for ~$10 on Amazon prime.

Here is a source for close taper nipples http://www.nero.co.uk/Catalogue/150LB-B ... per-Nipple, and one for close parallel nipples http://www.hydravalve.co.uk/1-2-bspp-31 ... ipple.html
Last edited by squadricus on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Unread postby Lindh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:51 am

djKlasen wrote: Be sure to use a nipple without the 'hex' part in the middle, just a straight threaded nipple. The pump and the tee will be pretty close when all is fitted so there is no room for a 'hex' part. .

I have a problem finding this "non hex nipple" in bsp (brittish pipe thread that bm uses). Npt is not the perfect fit and requires teflon tape to avoid leakage. Anyone found a 1/2" bsp ss threaded short pipe/close nipple?
Lindh

Unread postby djKlasen » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:45 am

I bought mine from the inventor of this mod, he's running a webshop for brewing equipment; http://bryggmaker.no/100_varer.asp?d=235&k=2
The page is in Norwegian.

I always use teflon tape to make good seals.
djKlasen

Unread postby squadricus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:07 pm

Laing E1 pumps are designed for hot water recirculation systems. Has anyone confirmed that Speidel used BSPP fittings on the nipples associated with the pumps? Their use of BSPP for the spigot does not necessarily mean they'd have used the same to mate up with the pump. Info I find on Laing pumps suggest they're NPT, but they are owned by Lowara, whose pumps are R thread (BSPT - British Standard Pipe Tapered).

From a design perspective, it would have been simpler to keep all pump-related components NPT or R, depending on the pump, especially given the really tight spacial limitations underneath the BM. 1/2" R and NPT are really close.
R vs NPT.png
Last edited by squadricus on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squadricus

Unread postby Lindh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:31 pm

And I already ordered all BSP except the close nipple. Back to the drawing board I guess...
Lindh

Unread postby Lindh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:56 pm

If you have a old Braumeister with the blue pump and replace it with a new one, you need a converter like this:

No specs on why so can't tell if NPT or BSPP. Someone on this forum should know if it's BSPT och NPT!
Lindh

Unread postby mashy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:43 pm

djKlasen wrote:I have put a ball valve with a tee near one of the pumps. This takes all the 'bad' work out of the brew day and allows you to drain the gunk and clean the Braumeister completely without moving it at all.

That is so good I might have to do that to my 20.

Fabulous.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Lindh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:54 pm

I have a problem removing the 90 degree elbow from the pump connection. Any suggestions? Brute force (hammer)?

pmp.jpg
Lindh

Unread postby squadricus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 pm

Leverage: vise, big crescent wrench, pipe cheater. If they used a pipe sealant, some heat might help.
squadricus

Unread postby mashy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:48 am

Remove it from the BM first. Much easier. Gentle heat on the brass - bingo.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications