Rubber Seal for filter plates

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

Re: Rubber Seal for filter plates

Unread postby Avispartner » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Scozia_Joe wrote:Robbie let me know how you get on with the 3018101 as I have the same issue with the 02 its not as tight as i would want.

No prbs b.t.w with the hint :beer: :beer:

Will do :beer: :drink: :D
Avispartner

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby bruulog » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:32 pm

Starsan or any other cleaning agent is the last thing you want in your mash/boil.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby McMullan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:22 pm

bruulog wrote:Starsan or any other cleaning agent is the last thing you want in your mash/boil.

Starsan isn't a 'cleaning agent' :roll:
McMullan

Unread postby old hooky » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:55 am

I bought the rubber seal that goes on the bottom of the malt pipe and used it for the top filter plate. it needs to be cut and then wrapped around the filter plate and the excess cut off.
old hooky

Unread postby rmklaw » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy that seal in the USA? Thanks.

Richard
Richard
2015 Braumeister 20L
rmklaw

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Scozia_Joe » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:40 pm

old hooky wrote:I bought the rubber seal that goes on the bottom of the malt pipe and used it for the top filter plate. it needs to be cut and then wrapped around the filter plate and the excess cut off.

Any good?
Scozia_Joe

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby old hooky » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:44 am

Scozia_Joe wrote:
old hooky wrote:I bought the rubber seal that goes on the bottom of the malt pipe and used it for the top filter plate. it needs to be cut and then wrapped around the filter plate and the excess cut off.

Any good?

I had a fair bit of a gap between the filter plate and the malt pipe and the seal works great . it is a fairly tight fit so i guess it will depend on if you really need it or not. i did need something because too much grain was gettintg through.
old hooky

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Avispartner wrote:
Scozia_Joe wrote:Robbie let me know how you get on with the 3018101 as I have the same issue with the 02 its not as tight as i would want.

No prbs b.t.w with the hint :beer: :beer:

Will do :beer: :drink: :D

Just used the 01 last brew. 6kg grain, 30L water, no sparge.
A little bit tight to fit both the filter plate and fine mesh together inside the malt pipe.
Used it around the filter plate only, perfect seal, no grain at all. Easy to remove the plate with it and the fine mesh afterwards, during the mash, to stir the grain once in a while. Gonna use it every brew.

image.jpg
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby McMullan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Good idea, Luis. I too found it too tight with the mesh filter included. The diameter of the my mesh is slightly bigger than the plate. Looks like yours is too. Might give mine a trim if I'm happy with the results :cheers:
McMullan

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:54 pm

I would guess that an oversized piece of 'cheese cloth' would work quite well. It has a bit of thickness and is very porous and act as a sort of filter to keep grains from going around the filter plate. It might also be useful to aid in pulling both the screen and plate out as a unit as it will overlap the top of the plate a bit. I haven't tried it yet.. but sounds 'good on paper' :beerbang:
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Mashman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:42 am

Has anyone tried 3/8 beer line? Slit along one side and fitted to the filter, not the mesh it seems to fit perfectly. Are then any temperature issues using this material?
Mashman

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:13 pm

McMullan wrote:Good idea, Luis. I too found it too tight with the mesh filter included. The diameter of the my mesh is slightly bigger than the plate. Looks like yours is too. Might give mine a trim if I'm happy with the results :cheers:

What I did was lay the mesh over the screen on the centre tube and mark the circumference of the screen onto the mesh with a black texta type marking pen.
Once the mesh is marked get a quality pair of scissors and trim the mesh to the circumference pf the screen.

By doing this when you lift the top plat out the mesh comes with it.
To ensure it always stays together I bolted the mesh to the screen.

@Mashman,

I used a small silicon tube cut down the length of it and it worked quite well, but I found the molded seal just a bit easier to use. I cant remember off hand the size of the tube I used but it was fairly small.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby McMullan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Dicko wrote:
McMullan wrote:Good idea, Luis. I too found it too tight with the mesh filter included. The diameter of the my mesh is slightly bigger than the plate. Looks like yours is too. Might give mine a trim if I'm happy with the results :cheers:

What I did was lay the mesh over the screen on the centre tube and mark the circumference of the screen onto the mesh with a black texta type marking pen.
Once the mesh is marked get a quality pair of scissors and trim the mesh to the circumference pf the screen.

@Mashman,

I used a small silicon tube cut down the length of it and it worked quite well, but I found the molded seal just a bit easier to use. I cant remember off hand the size of the tube I used but it was fairly small.

Cheers Dicko, I just found my snips at the bottom of my 'lost' tool box. (The misses thinks I left in the UK :lol:) Will you send me a new mesh screen, if it doesn't work? :lol:
McMullan

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:31 am

McMullan wrote:
Dicko wrote:

@Mashman,

Cheers Dicko, I just found my snips at the bottom of my 'lost' tool box. (The misses thinks I left in the UK :lol:) Will you send me a new mesh screen, if it doesn't work? :lol:

Hey mate, check the latest video in the BM video section.
The author of the u tube vid uses a polyester screen called "Pet Mesh".
It looks interesting. :D

See my latest post in this topic
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=92&start=30

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby BigTed » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:26 am

I use some polyester door/window screen mesh called "Petmesh" as seen in my latest number 4 YouTube video. Works great and its sealed with "U" profile rubber section and held on with clips.
http://youtu.be/AyW4k1Os8_k
BigTed

PreviousNext

Return to Modifications