BM mods to address the OG limitation.

Did you pimp your Braumeister? Show us your mods!

RE: BM mods to address the OG limitation.

Unread postby joostdb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:12 am

Ok gotcha, I thought you were talking about a double mash. Interesting idea, definitely one way to do high OG beers in the BM. Would make it one expensive BIAB pot though!
joostdb

Model: 50 litres

RE: BM mods to address the OG limitation.

Unread postby Lgkex » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:27 am

I think taking the rod out and using the malt pipe and BIAB wOuld be easier and quicker then pulling the pipe. Just pull the bag from the first mash and pop in a new one for the second mash. Also, malt pipe keeps the bag away from the element. This would work with single infusion mash. Problem is a machinist would need to make the piece for the rod to screw into. Other benefits as mentioned in previous email.

Spiedel are you listening?
Lgkex

Model: 20 litres

Re: RE: BM mods to address the OG limitation.

Unread postby surfmase » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Twonky wrote:A while back there was a 50l BM with 70l conversion for sale on a dutch second hand site... so curious as I was I mailed with the owner to get to know what the conversion entailed. And this is what the dude had done. He had created a filter plate with "legs" that would rest just above the heating coils, used an external pump to draw of the wort through the tap, and then let it flow back on top of the grain thus circulating the wrong way, but being able to utilize the full volume of his 50l BM.... drawback is having to empty the BM before being able to boil...

It didn't sound like something that I wanted to but who knows, if you really want versatility then....

Hi,
I realize this thread is a year old, but I just found this forum while searching to see if anyone has done what is described above. I've been thinking of ways to get the most out of my BM50. My thoughts were the false bottom instead of malt pipe, but instead of external pump I had considered rerouting the existing pumps externally to the top of the mash (I think the Grainfather does it this way.) The drawback as mentioned, is that the single vessel setup is out the window unless you empty the tun. But reverting to a 3 vessel setup and using the BM50 as a pure mash/lauter tun you could do a true sparge and boil probably 100L. Anyone seen or tried it?
Cheers,
surfmase

Re: BM mods to address the OG limitation.

Unread postby bierfest » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:40 pm

Why?
bierfest

Unread postby surfmase » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:41 am

To make more beer of course.
surfmase

Unread postby royco » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:17 am

a guy in Australia has cobbled together something like that. You need to google it.
royco

Previous

Return to Modifications