Auto Logout

Do you have troubles using the forums? Do you know what could be improved? Just create a topic in this forum.

Auto Logout

Unread postby Dan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:40 pm

Yesterday (as every morning) I logged into the usual forums, opened new posts in each one then began reading through.
When I got around to this forum (saved the best for last), and read a few posts, I replied to one but upon clicking "submit", I was told I was not logged in.

Similarly, this morning I logged in, but didn't open new posts in this forum until after reading other forums, but clicking the new post button again told me I was not logged in. Furthermore, when I logged back in, I was told there are no new posts (even though I hadn't read any, or even clicked the "new" button).

-Is there an auto logout when inactive for say 5 minutes or more?
-Can this be corrected to stay active while the browser is open?
-Is there a way to avoid posts as being marked as read until I either open them, or click the "mark all as read" button?

And on a similar train of thought - After clicking "new" to see the unread post list, is there a way of opening all new posts in separate tabs with one click, or will I need to open each one individually?
Dan

Model: 20 litres

RE: Auto Logout

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Dan,

I am not computer savvy but what I found was after I logged in I went to the "active" tab on the RHS of the index page and then bookmarked that as my opening page, and then as the forum opens it loads all unread posts with the posters name highlighted a bit darker bold so you can click and read whichever topic you want.
When I close the browser then re open it with my "active" link it just seems to work, for me..
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Dan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:29 pm

Dicko wrote:Hi Dan,

I am not computer savvy but what I found was after I logged in I went to the "active" tab on the RHS of the index page and then bookmarked that as my opening page, and then as the forum opens it loads all unread posts with the posters name highlighted a bit darker bold so you can click and read whichever topic you want.
When I close the browser then re open it with my "active" link it just seems to work, for me..

I don't really get what the "active" button is for. Seems it brings up a long list with only some of those having new posts. Whereas "new" lists all, and only, new posts?

Good idea on bookmarking it though. I might bookmark the new button.

Edit - thinking it over again - maybe the new button displays all topics with new posts since last login? - I just clicked it and got a list of topics I'd already read, but are all very recent.

I'm just prefer "show unread posts" on other forums, which stay marked unread and highlighted regardless of when you login/out, and only change status after either reading them, or clicking the "mark all as read" button.
Last edited by Dan on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

Unread postby niels » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:54 am

Dan wrote:-Is there an auto logout when inactive for say 5 minutes or more?
-Can this be corrected to stay active while the browser is open?
-Is there a way to avoid posts as being marked as read until I either open them, or click the "mark all as read" button?

And on a similar train of thought - After clicking "new" to see the unread post list, is there a way of opening all new posts in separate tabs with one click, or will I need to open each one individually?

Hi Dan,

Do you check the "Log me in automatically each time I visit." when you log in? Since I have checked it I always stay logged in and never had the mentioned problem.
Regardless, I will check out the code how the sessions are handled and might tune it a bit.

I also noticed that posts are marked as read after a while although I didn't open them. I increased a setting that handles this "visit timeout" to 24 hours, so this must improve things a bit. Besides that I will put in on my todo to have a way of handling unread posts (keep unread until opened or manually marked as read).

There is no way to open all new posts with one click in several tabs. This is a nice feature when you don't have many unread posts, but I'm not convinced that it has so much added value. CTRL+click on a link opens the link in a new tab.

So... stay tuned for improved functionality :)

Niels

PS: I added a post with a list of things that I'm working on or that are planned: read it here.
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks Niels

I did check "Log me in auto..." but each time I visit I still have to manually login.
I've noticed the same with other forums too though - problem on my end? - browser/anti-virus software?

I was pretty sure there would be no "one click opens all unread in separate tabs" option, but thought I'd ask in case. I imagine this would be implemented in a browsers code if at all possible, and not the forum itself.

Great work so far. Looking forward to seeing how the forum evolves.

Cheers
Dan

Return to Suggestions and Support