Delete Posts?

Do you have troubles using the forums? Do you know what could be improved? Just create a topic in this forum.

Delete Posts?

Unread postby HopSong » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Is there a reason we are not allowed to delete our own posts? I have a MAC and the only part of it I don't like is the fact that when I make a post in a forum.. or anyplace else, when I finish and hit the "back button" It always asks me if I want to repost. Doesn't happen in all forums.. but, typically the PHP ones. I can NEVER remember to open a new window to make a post. This is actually the only forum of the many that I belong to that does not accept deletions if there is no response.

Thanks for considering this.

Bill
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Re: Delete Posts?

Unread postby niels » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi Bill,

I installed the forum with the standard permission settings. These will not allow a user to delete a post. I will think about it to enable this.

A tip: you don't need the "Back" button on most websites. Simply use the websites navigation. For this forum clicking the Braumeister logo will always bring you back to the homepage. There is always a "bread crumb trail" just below the green (or blue) header which you can use to go directly to the previous level (e.g. sub forum, home page, ...).

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:59 pm

I am a moderator on another forum and that forum used to allow deleting of posts.

The situation recently changed when the forum changed owners and disgruntled members started deleting posts.
This caused many problems as some topics became unreadable.

In most cases the need to delete a post is genuine but the function can cause problems if things get out of hand.
Maybe a short time limit in which a member may delete their post would work OK.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:03 am

Easy solution to this is to edit your post and replace whatever contents were there with the word "DELETED".

Problem solved :beer:

Unread postby niels » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:20 am

cpa4ny wrote:Easy solution to this is to edit your post and replace whatever contents were there with the word "DELETED".

Problem solved :beer:

But still... it isn't encouraged! If you make a double post, don't sweat it and just mention it in the second post. I will delete it and other will know they have to reply in the other thread. If you want to delete a post, same thing.

Since this is a small forum I do the moderation myself. This might be an issue if I'm not around computers a few days, but I regularly check in using my phone. In near future I might ask a few people if they want to help moderating. (It's a non-paid job, though :wink:)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks Niels - will proceed as you suggested :beer:

Unread postby Tipsy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:09 am

Dicko wrote:In most cases the need to delete a post is genuine but the function can cause problems if things get out of hand.
Maybe a short time limit in which a member may delete their post would work OK.

A distilling forum I'm a member on had a mass exodus of disgruntled members and they deleted all their posts making the forum almost unreadable.

A short time delay on other forums works well.
Tipsy

Unread postby niels » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Tipsy wrote:A distilling forum I'm a member on had a mass exodus of disgruntled members and they deleted all their posts making the forum almost unreadable.

A short time delay on other forums works well.

Well, my goal is to keep you all happy ;)

A short time delay (like 15 min) is a good option indeed. I'll check how I can enable this on this forum!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions and Support