Links Shading and Pictures

Do you have troubles using the forums? Do you know what could be improved? Just create a topic in this forum.

Links Shading and Pictures

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Apologies for me being a dummy but can someone help me by showing me how to put a link on this site and instead of the link being a direct copy of the site url, it has the word "Link" to click on?

And how do you guys make a recipe or a mash schedule have a dark background with white text?

And I use photobucket to upload pics but I notice that some of you insert a photo with a lined border around it and the word "attachment" on it. How do you do that?

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Re: Links Shading and Pictures

Unread postby niels » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:24 am

Hi Dicko,

Here is an answer with some examples to clarify. I hope this helps

1) You can put links behind text by using the URL tag like this:
Code: Select all
[url=http://thisismylink.com]Link text[/url]

You can achieve this by typing your link text, select it and push the URL button on top of the textarea. This will add the URL tags, so you will need to add the equal sign and link to finish it.

2) To make recipes (and other text) appear with a dark background and fixed width font you use de CODE tag like this:
Code: Select all
[code]
My Recipe

All text between CODE tags is shown "as is", so all spaces (not tabs) and line breaks are preserved.
This is handy for showing text with columns etc.
[/code]

3) To add pictures and other files to a post you use the "Upload attachment" tab under the "Post a reply" textarea.
You click "Choose File" and select your file. If you want you can add a comment to the file that will appear underneath when included in a post. Then click "Add the file" to upload it.
When the file is uploaded you can include it in the post by positioning your cursor in the textarea and clicking "Place inline". The attachment will then be inserted where you cursor is positioned.
add_attachment.png
Screenshot "Upload attachment"

You see that the above image is placed inline. I added 2 more attachments (1 image, 1 PDF file) to this post which I didn't place inline. They are shown at the bottom of this post in an "Attachments" box.
You can upload up to 5 attachments to a post and the maximum size of an attachment is 10 MB. If you think this is too limiting to make a nice post you can always send me a message.
Larger files can be compressed to reach this limit. I recommend the use of 7-Zip as it is free, open-source, multi-platform and very performant, but you are free to use any other type of compression tool.

NOTE: I strongly suggest using the attachments functionality as this will save the files on "our" server which makes sure that within a year all attachments are still available. If you use external services we don't know how long they will stay available.

Niels
Attachments
speidel_brewing_recipe_pilsner_bm_20-litre.pdf
Pilsner recipe
(55.38 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
brewing-speidel.jpg
Another attachment
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Great explanation, thanks for that Niels.
I will be trying these methods over my next posts by referring to your reply.

Your comments on the pic attachments are interesting.
I have noticed if I move the pic to a new folder that is posted on any forum from photobucket, then the pic is deleted from the post. :roll:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby niels » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Dicko wrote:I have noticed if I move the pic to a new folder that is posted on any forum from photobucket, then the pic is deleted from the post. :roll:

Sorry Dicko, but I don't understand this remark... Can you explain it a bit more, please?

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 pm

niels wrote:
Dicko wrote:I have noticed if I move the pic to a new folder that is posted on any forum from photobucket, then the pic is deleted from the post. :roll:

Sorry Dicko, but I don't understand this remark... Can you explain it a bit more, please?

Niels

In Photobucket there is the option to create folders to store your pics rather than have them all in the main photostream.
If you post a pic from any folder in Photbucket to a forum and then move that same photo in Photobucket to another folder then the action automatically removes the pic from the forum in which the pic was posted.
I hope I have explained this a little more clearly. :D
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:09 am

IMG_0334.jpg

Just practicing..... :D This is from my "My Pictures" file and is done from my desktop.

I can't do the same thing from my Ipad??? or at least I don't think I can??
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 am

Just practicing again. :D

This is the best forum for info on Braumeisters Best Forum
Dicko

Unread postby niels » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:49 am

Dicko wrote:In Photobucket there is the option to create folders to store your pics rather than have them all in the main photostream.
If you post a pic from any folder in Photbucket to a forum and then move that same photo in Photobucket to another folder then the action automatically removes the pic from the forum in which the pic was posted.
I hope I have explained this a little more clearly. :D

This makes it perfectly clear. I was a bit confused as I thought you were talking about directories and attachments on this forum getting removed.

Dicko wrote:Just practicing..... :D This is from my "My Pictures" file and is done from my desktop.

I can't do the same thing from my Ipad??? or at least I don't think I can??

This is a limitation of iOS. In iOS you don't have access to the filesystem as you would on a computer or Android device. I do think you can upload attachments from an iOS device using the Tapatalk application. You might want to consider checking it out. It is a free app so it is certainly worth trying it.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:30 am

Hi Niels,
Thank you for your help above.. :)

I have tried Tapatalk and personally, I don't like it.
I am a moderator on another forum and it restricts me too much to use it there as I have difficulty accessing certain areas.
I gave Tapatalk a try on another forum for a while but just couldn't grow to like it.
It could be just a "me" thing.
Dicko

Unread postby niels » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 am

Dicko wrote:Hi Niels,
Thank you for your help above.. :)

I have tried Tapatalk and personally, I don't like it.
I am a moderator on another forum and it restricts me too much to use it there as I have difficulty accessing certain areas.
I gave Tapatalk a try on another forum for a while but just couldn't grow to like it.
It could be just a "me" thing.

I'm not a big fan myself, but I use it on my phone to easily check for new posts. When there are a few I might open my laptop and read/reply using my regular browser.

But for posting pictures from your iPad it might be an option...

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions and Support