Odd forum behaviour

Do you have troubles using the forums? Do you know what could be improved? Just create a topic in this forum.

Odd forum behaviour

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 am

I normally access the forum through a favourite that links to list unread posts listed by thread, from the 'go to latest post' icon for each thread I will right click and open in a new tab, it's how I read forums and get through lots of posts quickly.

I've noticed something in the last few weeks on the Braumeisters forum where the 'go to latest post' icon doesn't work properly, it takes me to an unrelated thread, it does this whether I'm opening the link in the same window or another tab. It will stop doing it once I've managed to read just one latest post in one correct thread which usually takes me a couple of goes to get it to work, then it will work as normal for all the other unread threads after that.

Any idea how to fix this?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: Odd forum behaviour

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:23 am

BrauTim wrote:I normally access the forum through a favourite that links to list unread posts listed by thread, from the 'go to latest post' icon for each thread I will right click and open in a new tab, it's how I read forums and get through lots of posts quickly.

I've noticed something in the last few weeks on the Braumeisters forum where the 'go to latest post' icon doesn't work properly, it takes me to an unrelated thread, it does this whether I'm opening the link in the same window or another tab. It will stop doing it once I've managed to read just one latest post in one correct thread which usually takes me a couple of goes to get it to work, then it will work as normal for all the other unread threads after that.

Any idea how to fix this?

The same thing happens to me as well.
I first thought that it was a "Safari" thing but it happens with windows as well.
I have got to go to the board index and then select "active topics" and then select the topic and the correct subject will open. :roll:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Andy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:35 am

I get similar behaviour in safari on ipad. Going to the forum index and refreshing seems to sort it out.
Andy

Unread postby niels » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:26 am

Indeed, I noticed this too. Refreshing the home page (or maybe even the "Unread posts" page) seems to fix it.

It's on my list to check out what is wrong...

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby whitegoose » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Happens to me to - I generally run firefox and chrome and it happens with both. The symptoms I see are...

1) clicking to open a forum and getting a different forum... and then finding that no matter which forum I try to open it takes me to that same forum (FWIW it seems to always take me to the Support forum)

2) I reckon about 50% of the time I try to open a forum (more often than the above) I get taken to a blank forum that says something like "This topic does not exist" or "this forum does not exist" and this will keep hapemnning even after closing broswers, openning in new tabs, no matter what I do. I generally have to wait 5 minutes and try again.
whitegoose

Unread postby Lylo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:17 pm

This happens to me too. I keep the forum icon in my tool bar and when I get redirected (always the first topic of the session) I just reopen an all is good. Slight pain in the butt only.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby niels » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:07 pm

I really have to fix this, but I don't find anything about it in the support forums of phpBB. It might have something to do with the redirects I configured to make sure that old forum links still work.

@whitegoose: Try a hard refresh (CTRL-F5 on Windows) to avoid the 5 minute wait.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby niels » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Good news: I think I've found and fixed the problem.

Let me know if the problem persists!

:beer:
Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks for fixing this Niels, working perfectly so far

:beer:
Last edited by BrauTim on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks Niels, it appears to be working fine now both on Ipad and windows. :cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Lylo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Mine is right on. Thanks niels.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Return to Suggestions and Support