Wiki and Best of index

Do you have troubles using the forums? Do you know what could be improved? Just create a topic in this forum.

Wiki and Best of index

Unread postby big_o » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:51 am

A wiki would be a nice way to condense the discussions of topics into a clearer format that was easier to search. For example, a main page that links to articles such as "Double mashing for volume", "No Sparging*, "Overnight mashing". Articles should reference the original topics for reference.

If that is too much effort, a best of topic somewhere with titles and relevant topic links underneath would be nice.

Both have the benefit of finding stuff quickly as well as discovering new methods quickly. I often see gems of information, that are not related to the current topic, somewhere in the middle of a topic that could easily become lost. Therefore a wiki is probably more useful for organising information in a more natural order.
big_o

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: Wiki and Best of index

Unread postby LMoerkens » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:49 pm

+1, don't know what the best way is, just wrote a suggestion for a knowledge base as a suggestion to Niels based on another thread. There is soooooo much valuable information here, but hard to find if you don't put in the exact search word.

:beer:
LMoerkens

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:28 am

This cannot be a new problem. So how do other forums do it? Or is there some software for such?
mashy

Unread postby Aleman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:16 pm

I know the VW camper van crowd do it using approved volunteers to pull info from nominated threads and subjects into a wiki manually. Once the wiki article is considered complete and approved it is then locked for editing. Changes are made when new info comes to light.

It's hard work and you need knowledgeable people to do it.
Aleman

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:37 pm

As far as I am aware it is a massive job ( like full time) to catalogue each and every post into headings and sub headings.

I am a member of a Toyota Landcruiser Forum which is moderated very heavily and each post is either locked or merged with other topics. The admin people must sit on the forum 24/7.
I know that some people get all bitter and twisted when their subject is locked, moved or merged into something else, when all thay wanted was an answer to a simple question.

The way I see it is that apps like Tapatalk remove search functionality to a degree.

I have found that when on my IPad as I am now, I use the standard version of forum software and if you use this version you will note the search function in the top right hand corner has an "Advanced Search" function under the search window.
This works very well if you enter the correct information.

I am a moderator on a couple of forums and find that Tapatalk is difficult to use for some moderating tasks.

You can also use google if you want by typing "forum.braumeisters+your key words or phrases" into your browser.

Wikis are generally good, particularly if they are locked and not accessed by all who think they may add a new snippet of information, however as Aleman suggested they do need people to maintain the wiki board.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby big_o » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:11 pm

I agree with what you say about a best of thread. However, a locked wiki as you say would be excellent, particularly as most of the information could remain fairly static. There would of course be the initial work writing and agreement for a given topic, but it would not be inconceivable for it to remain unchanged once agreed upon.
big_o

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby niels » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:04 pm

When starting out the forum I had plans on starting a wiki which would be filled with content that appeared in the discussion threads. However... things changed a lot for me in the last year and I'm currently not able to spend hours collecting this content and putting it in a nice structure.

But if there are members who are willing to create and maintain a wiki in an organized way I would be very happy to install the necessary software. Would it be an idea to create a "workgroup" of members who are responsible for the wiki? The only thing that I would like is that there are clear guidelines, open communications and a decent quality standard and correct spelling :)

Let's open the discussion and see where it leads us.

A "Best of Index" could be achievable on a very short term. E.g. we start a Best of Index thread where interesting topics are listed in the first post. This could be a starting point for the wiki too.

Could the following work?
  • one Best of Index locked thread which contains the links and is updated by the moderators
  • one Best of Index Suggestions thread where people can propose threads/topics to be added

This is just a quick response which I didn't think over long, so please feel free to make more suitable proposals or suggest changes!

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby LMoerkens » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:29 pm

I would be willing to spend some time on maintaining this. I am not technical, so if somebody else could do that and give me instructions how to maintain, I can help. :cheers:
LMoerkens

Unread postby Icefever » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:55 pm

There's a willing pair on hands here if you wish... :wink: as I'm retired I do have some spare time. Like L Moerkens, instructions on what to do would be a good start.
Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom
Icefever

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Return to Suggestions and Support