High Gravity Brewing

Because the 200 L and 500 L units are a different league, we'll grant them their own sub-forum.

High Gravity Brewing

Unread postby Castlebrew » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Has anybody successfully managed to achieve SG 1.070(17°plato) using the technique Speidel indicate in their Eichenbock recipe? I've tried it but so far failed to achieve it.
Castlebrew

Model: 200 litres

Re: High Gravity Brewing

Unread postby steche » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:30 am

Hi.
I answer even if my answer is not a direct answer to your question :? :wink:
I brewer to a 17.6BRIX (~1.072 SG) on my BM10 (you can do the maths for a BM20) with the following :
- 11L of water (no sparge water)
- 2.4kg of Pils malt + 0.1kg of Cara malt
- 20min @ 64°C + 40min @ 70°C + 10min @ 78°C
- boiling for 60min
I hope it may help...
But I checked the recipe (for a BM10) : the numbers are close, there is 1.5L more for sparging (for a BM10) and same amount of water for start and same amount of malt, and boiling for 90min (+30min), so it would be pretty close. What was your final SG ?
steche

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby aziztan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:56 pm

Sounds like an efficiency issue if you got this from the official Spidel site.

Adjust your grain crush size, check the water chemistry.

If you aren't able adjust the above, and just want to hit your target gravity and not too concerned about volume into fermenter, just boil longer. Although your colour might be a little darker than expected.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Castlebrew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks for your input. Basically, I've brewed 78 times on the 200 litre model and my observations regarding efficiency are:
1. Crushing the grain finely does increase the extract, but risks too high a pump pressure. Also, it results in many more malt particles in the boil, because they have passed throught the mash plates. Result is a turbid wort.
2. Reducing the liquor to grist ratio, as suggested by Speidel results in a reduced efficiency. For me I usually get around 80-85% with their advised crush rate of 1.6mm and at the full liquor to grist ratio. If I reduce that crush gap I can achieve 90-93%, but a lot more of the crushed grain is in the boil, which I do not want.
3. Having used a large single infusion mash tun in the past, I can say I've achieved an sg of 1070. This is with careful recirculation and fly-sparging.
4. I have tried the mash regime and 'dunking' that Speidel recommend in their Eichenbock (oak) recipe, but cannot achieve it.
5. My liquor supply is soft, so DWB is used at a rate advised by a chemist, having had the water supply analysed regularly.

Conclusion:
Notwithstanding any input from Speidel, I think I will not reduce the liquor to grist ration so much, maintain the same crush rate, increase the mash period at 65c and increase the boil time.
Castlebrew

Model: 200 litres

Return to The Big Guys - BM200/BM500