Double Mash for Gravity - Double IPA Profile

The Braumeister makes it a lot easier to do multi-step mashes, so this section is dedicated to discussions about mash profiles.

Double Mash for Gravity - Double IPA Profile

Unread postby Luxo_Aussie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:29 pm

G'day All,

I'm preparing to make a Double IPA in a few weeks and wanted to know how the following looks (image attached).
Recipe is 10.5kg mostly Belgian Pale with some wheat, carapils & munich and a touch of crystal.
I would mash normally up to 72 deg without the 78 deg mash out and then remove the first pipe & sparge with 3L of cool water.
I'd then cool to 40 deg, add the second malt pipe and mash again this time with the 78 mash out.

On the right track or would some of these steps be overkill?

Thanks
Attachments
Double Mash.jpg
Double Mash
Luxo_Aussie

Model: 20 litres

Re: Double Mash for Gravity - Double IPA Profile

Unread postby johnrm » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:16 am

That sounds right.
I've done similar before, although has lots of fun with wort fountains on both runs, probably down to milling, but if made for a messy brew day.
Interested in hearing how you get on.
Best of luck!
johnrm

Unread postby Sladek789 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:03 pm

Luxo_Aussie wrote:Recipe is 10.5kg mostly Belgian Pale with some wheat, carapils & munich and a touch of crystal.

I would personally simplify the mashing with two mashing single temperature at 64C and only raise the second mashing at 76-78C at the end for mash-out. That way it will save you a lot of time/complexity from the temperature rising between steps and from not having to wait for the first wort to cool, before adding the second mash-in.

It is my understanding that Double IPA should have a dry to medium-dry finish and should not finish sweet or heavy. Therefore go easy with the Munich/Crystal (I know you said a touch :wink: ) and I would avoid steps enhancing the alpa-amylase around 70C. That could create too much dextrins and you could end up with a too sweet finish. Having a some bit of corn sugar/dextrose added to the boil as part of the "grain bill" could help to make the beer finish drier, while still having a big enough OG.
Sladek789

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby grooves » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Let us know how it goes. I've yet to do a double mash myself, so I'm curious to see how it works out.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Sladek789 wrote:
Luxo_Aussie wrote:Recipe is 10.5kg mostly Belgian Pale with some wheat, carapils & munich and a touch of crystal.

I would personally simplify the mashing with two mashing single temperature at 64C and only raise the second mashing at 76-78C at the end for mash-out. That way it will save you a lot of time/complexity from the temperature rising between steps and from not having to wait for the first wort to cool, before adding the second mash-in.

It is my understanding that Double IPA should have a dry to medium-dry finish and should not finish sweet or heavy. Therefore go easy with the Munich/Crystal (I know you said a touch :wink: ) and I would avoid steps enhancing the alpa-amylase around 70C. That could create too much dextrins and you could end up with a too sweet finish. Having a some bit of corn sugar/dextrose added to the boil as part of the "grain bill" could help to make the beer finish drier, while still having a big enough OG.

+1 much easier (I drain my #1 into the fermenter and then tip it back for boil)
mashy

Unread postby Luxo_Aussie » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:41 am

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to simplify it by removing some steps & also lower the temperatures to keep the taste drier. I'll give an update once this gets brewed later in the month.

You're right about the Munich - I've made a regular IPA with 15% Munich a little while ago and it has turned out quite sweet & heavy - not remotely to style but still appreciated by everyone who's liked it!

Thanks!
Luxo_Aussie

Unread postby Luxo_Aussie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:11 am

Here's what I ended up doing over the weekend (Double IPA).
1) Started with 23L of water and commenced first 5.5kg mash. Steps at 15@52, 35@62, 35@67 & 5@72.
2) Turned off Braumeister, removed malt pipe and sparged with 5L of 78 degree water.
3) Attached water hose and chilled to 50 degrees + cleaned malt pipe.
4) Placed malt pipe back in Braumeister, started cycle. Volume was 24L.
5) Added malt, this dropped the temperature down to about 47 degrees.
6) Second mash (5.5kg) was 15@52, 35@62, 35@67, 5@72 & 15@78.
7) Removed malt pipe and sparged with 8L of water at 78 degrees.
8) Volume post second mash/sparge was 26-27L
9) Continued cycle, added 5g yeast nutrient towards end of boil to give the yeast a boost.
10) Finished cycle, chilled and racked onto a Wyeast 1056 yeast cake.
11) Total volume into the fermented was about 23L (including the yeast cake) so ended up with about 22L coming out of the Braumeister.

OG was (about) 23.5 plato ~ 1099. Not 100% sure here as my hydrometer only went up to 20 plato so needed to guess a bit based on where it was floating. I had entered a BH efficiency of 67.5 in Beersmtih & got about 65% - quite pleased overall. I also paused the mash twice each cycle to give the grist a stir. Probably improved the efficient a bit.

If doing this again, I'd increase the starting volume to 25L and lower the sparging volumes to 4L on the first mash and keep it at 8L for the second to end up with a 23L volume into fermenter. Also I'm not sure if the yeast nutrient was necessary If pitching onto a yeast cake since this fermentation was very intense after 45 minutes. Only major frustration with the day was the duration - whole process took nearly 9 hours including clean-up.
Luxo_Aussie

Unread postby Luxo_Aussie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:42 am

<sidenote>
Looking at style guidelines, I don't think this would qualify as a Double IPA given the immense OG, defiantly fits better into the American Barleywine (22C) category..!
Here are the ingredients / recipe particulars if anyone was keen to know :
8.00kg Pale
1.25kg Munich
1.00kg Wheat
0.50kg Carapils
0.25kg Cara-120
Simcoe / Centennial / Amarillo
Volume : 22L | IBU's : 89 | SRM : 22 | Wyeast 1056
Luxo_Aussie

Return to Mash Profiles