Mashing Profile for Oatmeal Stout

The Braumeister makes it a lot easier to do multi-step mashes, so this section is dedicated to discussions about mash profiles.

Mashing Profile for Oatmeal Stout

Unread postby luk-cha » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:33 am

Hi all

I am looking to brew a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout clone, and i was looking to you guys to see if anyone has a step mash schedule for 1?

I was looking at this

45C 15 mins
52C 5 mins
66C 40 mins
73C 20 mins
78C 5 mins

What do you guys think?
luk-cha

Model: 20 litres

Re: Mashing Profile for Oatmeal Stout

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:22 am

If you are using just straight two row pale malt the you may drop the 52 deg rest and then bring the 73 deg rest to 71 or just mash the lot at 68 deg and go straight to mash out.
I tend to look how much crystal I have in my recipe and cut the higher mash temps to suit the percentage of the crystal which may make it too cloying.
With flaked oats my preference is to mash around the 66 deg mark, if using malted oats then you need to include a rest around 62 deg from memory to get conversion, but could you please check this as I am only going on memory that is sometimes clouded by the consumption of other good beers. :lol: :drink:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:30 am

Have a read of this info,
I used the mash schedule to make an oat amber ale that came out reasonably well.
It states that you need to do a rest around 45 deg as well as a mash at 62 for oat malt.
If using flaked oats as in "instant oats" then just throw them into the mash.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Just did an Oatmeal Stout. Wasn't really trying to clone SSOS, but I did use Yorkshire Square Ale yeast (WLP037). Came out nice, here it is after boil:
oatmeal_stout.jpg

Here's recipe:
recipe.jpg

And here's the mash schedule:
mash_profile.jpg

If I were to do it again, I'd follow Dicko's advice: drop the protein rest and put in an acid rest at 45C. I only did the 55C rest to get thermal equilibrium before going to 68C for sacc rest.

Unread postby luk-cha » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:59 am

Dicko wrote:Have a read of this info,
I used the mash schedule to make an oat amber ale that came out reasonably well.
It states that you need to do a rest around 45 deg as well as a mash at 62 for oat malt.
If using flaked oats as in "instant oats" then just throw them into the mash.

cool, thanks for the link, it was a good read!
luk-cha

Return to Mash Profiles