Mash Out

The Braumeister makes it a lot easier to do multi-step mashes, so this section is dedicated to discussions about mash profiles.

Mash Out

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:09 am

I read this extract from the AHB forum with some interest..................

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/62204-stepped-mashing-schedules-by-style/?hl=%2Bbraumeister+%2Bovernight#entry873933

Mash out
Raising of temperatures at the end of the mash to stop enzymes working and makes the grain bed and wort more fluid and can prevent a stuck sparge (but if a Braumeister/recirculating system is not stuck before then, it probably won't stick). Any starches rinsed out during the following sparge will not be converted to useful sugars as the enzymes have stopped working, these starches may cause haze in the finished beer. It doesn't seem likely that a good mash would contain residual starches. A mash out would seem to be important for a mash that contain wheat, oats, rye and under modified malts.

So what I get from this, is that for us BM users using fully modified malts, a mash out step at 78 is probably of no real benefit and may in fact be a contributing factor to haze.

I was wondering what our resident panel of experts thought?

Is there some validity to this comment? Or maybe I've misinterpreted it completely?
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Re: Mash Out

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:42 am

Cervantes wrote:
It doesn't seem likely that a good mash would contain residual starches.

Whoops...........

I've just noticed the above sentence in the original quote.

So no haze problem so long as you convert the starch to sugars.
Last edited by Cervantes on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Return to Mash Profiles