Please Suggest a Mash Profile

The Braumeister makes it a lot easier to do multi-step mashes, so this section is dedicated to discussions about mash profiles.

Please Suggest a Mash Profile

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:51 am

I'm planning on Brewing a Porter ready for the Aussie winter using the recipe below and was wondering what suggestions anyone could offer for a Mash Profile?

Code: Select all
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) - 77.6 %
0.40 kg Chocolate Malt (900.0 EBC) - 6.9 %
0.40 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC) - 6.9 %
0.50 kg Lyle's Golden Syrup (0.0 EBC)  - 8.6 %

35.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 5.00 % 17.5 IBUs
35.00 g Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 4.50 % 15.8 IBUs
12.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min  5.00 % 3.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) [124.21 ml] Wyeast Labs

Interested to hear what mash profile more seasoned brewers would use for this recipe.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Re: Please Suggest a Mash Profile

Unread postby Philthebrewer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Andy. I would love to see the suggested mash profiles too, so will watch for the answers to come flooding in (let's give the forum time to grow a bit). You have already seen my full body profile in my multi step post, which I have used with stouts to good effect.

I am really interested in your Ringwood Ale choice as I have never used this strain. I like the more fruity styles and tend to use London Ale or British Ale, but this looks really exciting.

One word of advice. My porters and stouts tend to get better and better as they age in the bottle, even up to 5 years, so do yourself a favour and put some away for next year and the year after.

Good luck
Philip
Philthebrewer

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Philthebrewer wrote:
I am really interested in your Ringwood Ale choice as I have never used this strain. I like the more fruity styles and tend to use London Ale or British Ale, but this looks really exciting.

Philip,

I've never used it before and to be honest there is some nostalgia attached for me. I was born and bred in the New Forest not far from Ringwood and used to really enjoy the Ringwood Brewery Ales, especially their Porter. So I figured I'd give it a try. If I can get my hands on some.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Cervantes wrote:
Philthebrewer wrote:

Philip,

I've never used it before and to be honest there is some nostalgia attached for me. I was born and bred in the New Forest not far from Ringwood and used to really enjoy the Ringwood Brewery Ales, especially their Porter. So I figured I'd give it a try. If I can get my hands on some.

But you were lucky and escaped to the warmth, dry and sunshine :D

I have never seen nor tasted Ringwood Porter, a rare beast indeed even in the South (I'm only 35 miles from Ringwood).

I've brewed a couple of my best ales with the Wyeast Ringwood strain, it was a fast fermentor for me, all done in 3 days, dropped clear in 5 days and was drinkable in 7 days, unbelievable and the beer didn't last long as it was so good!

However if you google the strain then you get lots of reports about stuck fermentations, which is confusing, just make sure you have a good starter to pitch.

I think a single step at 68°C or maybe a 2-step 35mins 63°C, 45mins at 71°C.

You have tempted me to try this now, but I want to make an Old Peculiar clone first ready for the UK Autumn. Will be interested how this turns out :cheers:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 pm

BrauTim wrote:
I have never seen nor tasted Ringwood Porter, a rare beast indeed even in the South (I'm only 35 miles from Ringwood).

It used to be a regular winter drink at the Filly Inn on the road between Lymington and Brockenhurst. But I am going back 20 years here..........

A Google search reveals that the Pub is still there http://www.fillyinn.co.uk/

BrauTim wrote:
However if you google the strain then you get lots of reports about stuck fermentations, which is confusing, just make sure you have a good starter to pitch.

I've read somewhere that the strain is actually originally from the North of England and that it is recommended to give it a stir a day or so into primary. I'll see if I can find it again. But thanks for the tip.

BrauTim wrote:
I think a single step at 68°C or maybe a 2-step 35mins 63°C, 45mins at 71°C.

Thanks for that.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:52 am

I recently did a Northern English Brown ale with Maris Otter and Ringwood - came out really good. As Philthebrewer implied (I think?), I found the fruity esters to be a little muted vs. some other English yeasts. My $0.02 for mash profile is a 20 min dough-in temp at 40C (see one of the other discussions in this sub-forum). Even for fully modified malts, I seem to be getting better efficiency with this rest. I did a single saccharification rest with my Brown Ale at 69C. I'd probably drop it to 68C. Mine finished at 1.015. It took 3 days at 18C to get to 1.018 - ripped through that wort! Left it in primary for another 10 days to let it clean up. It came out really nice - in my personal blind tasting, 2 out of 4 tasters preferred it to Sam Smith's Nut Brown!

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:38 am

I wanted to try Ringwood yeast for some time now - really attracted by its ability to ferment and floc out fast.

However I have also heard that it is a massive diacetyl producer.

Would be delighted to hear some thoughts on this.

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:58 am

Wyeast website has the following description................

YEAST STRAIN: 1187 | Ringwood Ale™

A top cropping yeast strain with unique fermentation and flavor characteristics. Expect distinct fruit esters with a malty, complex profile. Flocculation is high, and the beer will clear well without filtration. A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. This strain can be a slow starter and fermenter.

Origin:
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 68-72%
Temperature Range: 64-74F, 18-23C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

Styles:
American IPA
American Stout
Fruit Beer
Mild
Oatmeal Stout
Southern English Brown

So it seems the comments about lots of diacetyl may be right.

Also of interest from Bribie G on the AHB website

"The Ringwood brewery is in Hampshire in the south of England and is a fairly new microbrewery by UK standards. Their yeast comes, surprisingly from the opposite end of the country in East Yorkshire from the old Hull Brewery and it is a highly flocculating yeast suitable for Yorkshire stone square brewing techniques. . As such it benefits from being roused and thrashed a couple of times a day for the first four or five days in primary."

I knew that I'd seen it somewhere about it needing stirring...............

But we have gone somewhat off topic. Maybe this should be under a separate thread.
Andy
Cervantes

Return to Mash Profiles