An exciting announcement from Speidel

Braumeisters.net announcements

Re: An exciting announcement from Speidel

Unread postby flemming » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:38 pm

If they're looking for software suggestions; How about the ability to turn off the outer heating element via software on the 50L so that we might be able to mash with a bit less water volume when making bigger beers? It's not a problem that can't be solved by manually unplugging the element, but being able to do it via software would be pretty nice.

Robert
flemming

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Batz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:09 am

An easy one would be a socket on the back of the controller, into this you could plug a louder buzzer. Poor old deaf brewers like me can't hear the BM's current buzzer.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby niels » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:09 pm

flemming wrote:If they're looking for software suggestions; How about the ability to turn off the outer heating element via software on the 50L so that we might be able to mash with a bit less water volume when making bigger beers? It's not a problem that can't be solved by manually unplugging the element, but being able to do it via software would be pretty nice.

Robert

You could simply unplug the outer heating element during mashing and plug it back in during boiling. I'm not sure if the inner element will be able to keep the mash temperatures, but it might work if you use a jacket and don't plan such brew on cold days.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby niels » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:17 pm

I've continued my e-mail conversation with Ralf. Here are my questions and his answers:

Q: Most of the people are excited about the new control box and a possible swap of their old control box. One member quoted a price of 550 EUR for a new control box. Can you confirm this price already or is it too early to tell? I suppose this would be the price for a new control box without exchanging the old one.
A: "About the price for the new control, even we have not made the final calculation yet. No idea from where the 550€ comes, but it seems a bit too high."

Q: Regarding the WLAN capabilities of the new model: there is no information about it in the brochures you've sent me. Have you any idea when more details will be available? Also, can you explain a bit how the communication with the Braumeister will happen: does it host some sort of web server so you can connect to it via a browser or is it only accessible using an application on your smartphone?
A: "About the WLAN connection we are thinking to run it with a web server."

Q: A feature that is asked for on multiple occasions is a delayed start. This would make it possible to fill up your BM the night before and have it scheduled to start heating the strike water so it is at the mash-in temperature by the time you wake up. I'm not sure that Speidel is jumping on this idea because of safety concerns.
A: "The option of a delayed start was discussed also in further years and till now we have not designed it in fact of safety concerns. We are still thinking about the options which are allowed to run the control from your smartphone. To start the heating by accident is maybe not possible from the safety view. Let's see. As long as he WLAN is not available from the software part we do not publish it. Will get too many questions which we can not answer in front."

Q: Are you planning on producing a smaller version of your fermentation vessels to accommodate the owners of the 10l model? I suppose a 30l fermentor is a bit too much for a 10l batch.
A: "We have already since many years a 12l fermenter in our range. That will be the perfect size for the 10l."

Q: I've not heard much positive feedback about the hop sieve that Speidel introduced earlier this year. A few forum members have ordered a custom made hop spider and are very happy with it. One version is slided down the center rod while another version hangs from the side of the vessel. Both are made of fine stainless steel mesh. You can see one model in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_rb9n81SE and the other on this photo: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/ ... P/$_57.JPG Maybe it might be an inspiration for a Speidel version of a hop spider ;)
A: "I guess some people have not realized that our hop filter is only recommended if you are brewing with umbels. Not designed for pellets. And then it works perfect.
The solution on the link is nice and I have seen them before. Some people complain that they have not a rolling boil in the Filter.
We still think it's better using the filter after the boil, and no solution in form of a bag. But I will not say that the last word is spoken about this matter. We keep it in eye."

Q: And last but not least: the packaging. It looks like the reception of a damaged Braumeister is a very recurrent problem. And it looks like it that mostly owners overseas are impacted. I can imagine that it cost Speidel a bunch of money to replace the damaged units. Are you planning on addressing this issue by e.g. improving the packaging of the Braumeister when the new models arrive?
A: "You are right about the packaging. Specially the 50l makes trouble by shipping oversea. We have this on our agenda."

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby redwing_al » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:16 am

great job, neils! Keep the updates coming!

the question I still have is a math story problem..

"if johnny orders a new Brauwmeister at $1950USD and a desirable upgrade is less than 6 months away, how much extra does Johnny have to spend to bring his essentially 'new' purchase up to the latest specifications considering the new targeted cost to be 5-7% more for the latest model? Furthermore, if 550€ ($650USD) is a "bit too high" then how much is a bit worth? "

This means:
* I can pay $1950 USD for a Braumeister now
* Pay 'a bit less' than $650 USD for an upgrade to a unit whose price only increased 5-7% as a result of the new control box.
This looks out of line...

Since the new features are now public and being shared, I hope that they share a roadmap on what they'll do for the recent purchase customers since they already made this information public. I am sure there are many like myself that are (or were) ready to make an investment.
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 am

The talk of 550EUR really seems to be throwing the cat amongst the pigeons, it's obviously a mistake made by the website where it was listed, I would imagine that a third of that cost would be more realistic for an exchange, anymore than approx 175EUR would in my book, not be worth it and even at that price I might be hesitating to spend the money.

As an existing owner, the price to exchange will be the make or break, I have my routines, my work-arounds and the simplicity, added functionality doesn't necessarily make a better product or a nicer brewday.

If I was a new potential owner, then I would be tempted to wait 6 months for the new model to be released rather than have the hassle of exchanges etc, however having said that, you would be a first adopter of pretty much a load of new functionality, you would be the beta tester finding all the bugs and problems and maybe end up exchanging anyway (FOC).

However, as they haven't made an announcement and the control box features do not seem to either been agreed, finalised or tested, I would hazard a guess that a release could be as long as 12 months away.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby malzrohr » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:54 pm

I agree. Based on Ralph's replies it looks like the specs have not been finalized yet. For Speidel this forum is an ideal place to throw a stone in the pond and see what's happening.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby kahobro » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:57 am

BrauTim wrote:If I was a new potential owner, then I would be tempted to wait 6 months for the new model to be released rather than have the hassle of exchanges etc, however having said that, you would be a first adopter of pretty much a load of new functionality, you would be the beta tester finding all the bugs and problems and maybe end up exchanging anyway (FOC).

However, as they haven't made an announcement and the control box features do not seem to either been agreed, finalised or tested, I would hazard a guess that a release could be as long as 12 months away.

Indeed it looks like it will take a while before the new types are released. The speidel site doesn't have an announcement yet.

If you're looking into a speidel it could be worth buying the old model as prices will probably drop a bit a and the new model will probably be more expensive. Also you could be waiting a long time as mentioned.

Exchanging the controller because of bugs doesn't seem likely. It was mentioned that you could do upgrades yourself. I think an upgrade will be downloadable from the speidel site and can then be installed.

The new controller has to have a lot of very nice features before I'm tempted to exchange (or be very cheap < € 50 but I don't think that will happen).
Hans
kahobro

Unread postby niels » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:26 am

kahobro wrote:Indeed it looks like it will take a while before the new types are released. The speidel site doesn't have an announcement yet.

Delivery of the new models is planned for January 2015. This is confirmed to me by Ralf on a few occassions. The Braumeisters that are in stock now at resellers are the last "old" models.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Hauglia » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:44 am

The 550EUR was just an estimate based upon a email from a seller of brewing equipment. The old control unit has a price tag of 490EUR and he just estimated that the new one with wifi would be a bit more.
Perhaps it would be cheaper than the "old" control unit costs today, lets hope so :cheers:
Last edited by Hauglia on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hauglia

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:40 pm

Hauglia wrote:The 550EUR was just an estimate baased upon a email from a seller of brewing equipment. The old control unit has a price tag of 490EUR and he just estimated that the new one with wifi would be a bit more.
Perhaps it would be cheaper than the "old" control unit costs today, lets hope so :cheers:

Based on that, I would speculate that an exchange won't be as cheap as we hoped, but we can always hope.....
BrauTim

Unread postby chalky » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi All,

This morning I just spotted this in the newsletter of a prominent Melbourne homebrew store. The new BM are coming!

Below is a redacted excerpt of the newsletter.

We will be selling the new Braumeister*... ... They are on the way at the moment and should arrive late in the week....

There has been an increase in retail price of $100 per unit.

The new Braumeister models will feature a new Controller with a memory function for 10 different mashing profiles, a wireless connection for remote monitoring and a screen which will allow for the user to see the full recipe and easily change it.

The network functionalities will not be ready with the launch of the new model as Speidel is still developing the client software. They expect it to be available in about 4 months and it will be updatable as there are further improvements.

Only the controller has changed which means that Speidel will be selling the new control box to existing customers in the future. We expect to have them in March.
The 10 litre version will also be available in March we believe.
chalky

Unread postby Batz » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:35 am

I wonder how much an upgrade will cost?
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby redwing_al » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Batz wrote:I wonder how much an upgrade will cost?

in an email from Irina, she said that they haven't decided that they will offer one.. dont get your hopes up.
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Wow, that looks sexy (for a brewing controller), but it doesn't look cheap !
BrauTim

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements