An exciting announcement from Speidel

Braumeisters.net announcements

Re: An exciting announcement from Speidel

Unread postby ibbones » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:45 pm

Sorry, I cannot defend the newer unit but since I have the "old" one that I have only been using since November, I will say what I like about it.
If I had known that Speidel was going to introduce the "new" model when I bought mine, I would not have got it. Not afraid of new things but I do not see the advantage. I would never use the Wifi feature so the biggest attraction would be the new screen. I do not think I would use the 10 saved schedules since I would want to go over them to make sure it's the one I want. On February 20th I did my first overnight mash and got up on the 21st to boil. I was going to do another brew that day so I had to change the mash schedule and go from long times to shorter times and change the hop schedule. I bet it didn't take me 10 seconds to do it. Even on the little screen without the lights and pretty colors, it was easy to do.
I am not against the new BM but I am glad I saved a few coins and got the older one. :beer:
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby MattSR » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:28 pm

I reckon the lid on the new models is a bigger advantage than the controller!!
MattSR

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby crankcasy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:03 am

I can understand that most people don't have a need to remotely monitor their unit but I most certainly do and this is one of the main reasons I purchased the new BM.
crankcasy

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:43 pm

I haven't been on this forum for a while. Until yesterday, I didn't know of the new electronics. It was fun to read the ebb and flow of five months worth of comments which began in November of 2014.

For me, there are some new features with the new electronics that will be nice to have. But, they are not critical.

I like the Braumeister because it allows me, while living in my tiny little condo, to control everything important when designing a beer.

One feature that seems interesting in new electronics is the ability to store multiple mash profiles. Over the winter I brewed mostly double mashed big beers with OG just over 1.090. Sometimes I use different grains in the second mash than in the first, and want to use a different temp/time schedule for the second mash than for the first. It would be nice to set up both profiles once before starting to brew. Who knows, maybe next year I will try a triple mash.

The other features, i.e. remote internet access, are not that important to me. But if I had the feature, I am certain I would use it to check on my beer using my smart phone. Remote internet access would allow me to check the status of my beer without having to put down the book I'm reading. I can continue holding my book in my left hand while using my right hand to push buttons on my smart phone to check up on my beer. I will not have to even turn my head. And, I will only have to walk over to the Braumeister when I need to do something like change the grains, or add hops.

I can see why some people (mostly young people) are obsessing over the internet access. I think the obsession is similar to the obsession the students I teach (high school physics) have with their smart phones. They use their smart phones as a filter for everything. They are trapped, and have a hard time seeing anything except through their smart phones. I think they will be the first generation that is willing to have the next generation smart phone surgically inserted into their brains. I am concerned for them.

For me, most of the newly advertised bells and whistles will be nice to have. But they aren't important.

I will one day purchase the new electronics.

Then I will wrap the old electronics in a faraday cage. If someone sets off an EMP in Boston, the old electronics will be safe in the faraday cage. If I survive the blast, and someone is able to turn the electricity back on, I'll be able to continue brewing with the old electronics.

cheers
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:34 am

NewEnglandBrewer wrote:... I think they will be the first generation that is willing to have the next generation smart phone surgically inserted into their brains.

I almost qualify as an old fart. >50 is all I will admit to. I want that embedded smart phone!
NewEnglandBrewer wrote:... Then I will wrap the old electronics in a faraday cage. If someone sets off an EMP in Boston, the old electronics will be safe in the faraday cage. If I survive the blast, and someone is able to turn the electricity back on, I'll be able to continue brewing with the old electronics...

Now, THAT'S a good plan.

Unread postby NewEnglandBrewer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:41 pm

Nesto wrote: ... I want that embedded smart phone! ...

I do not want to hijack this thread. But I must emphasize that NO! YOU DO NOT WANT THE EMBEDDED SMART PHONE!!!!!!
It will be programed to give you migraine head aches whenever you have a thought that is inconsistent with the oligarch's interests. I am not a conspiracy theorist. But I acknowledge actual conspiracies.
NewEnglandBrewer

Unread postby bruulog » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:05 pm

The new nor old control boards are not doing any magic. It measures temperature, turns on off pumps and uses PID to keep temperatures at set levels for set time.
Why did they decide to go with closed source proprietary hardware/software makes zero sense. It only jacks up the price and I am 99% sure, it has virtually no positive effect on profit margin.

If it was up to me, I would make few changes to 50 l :D
1) Make the malt pipe in two parts so it can be used for 25 and 50 l
2) configure pumps so it can be used for sparging
3) configure pumps so it can be used for whirlpool
4) and pumping wort through CF chiller into fermenter
5) replace proprietary software in control panel with open source modular software. Make hardware modular - WiFi can me added by just buying a WiFi USB stick.
6) add option to set a timer for heating water to mash-in temperature and keeping it there (if you like to start next day or something)
Last edited by bruulog on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:58 pm

bruulog wrote:The new nor old control boards are not doing any magic. It measures temperature, turns on off pumps and uses PID to keep temperatures at set levels for set time.
Why did they decide to go with closed source proprietary hardware/software makes zero sense. It only jacks up the price and I am 99% sure, it has virtually no positive effect on profit margin.

1) Make the malt pipe in to parts so it can be used for 25 and 50 l
5) replace proprietary software in control panel with open source modular software. Make hardware modular - WiFi can me added by just buying a WiFi USB stick.
6) add option to set a timer for heating water to mash-in temperature and keeping it there (if you like to start next day or something)

+1 to that wishlist. For number 1, I'd also like an inbetween range so that you can get more than 6.5Kg without having to use the standard size pipe for higher gravity worts. Coupled with that I would also add an option to turn off the outer heating element for lower volume higher OG mashes.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Eriksbier » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:04 pm

I like these points:
bruulog wrote:

Does Speidel know about this forum by the way?
Eriksbier

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby PerzellBrewing » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Eriksbier wrote:I like these points:
bruulog wrote:

Does Speidel know about this forum by the way?

I would say "Yes" since niels is in constant contact with them and is now a vendor of their products.
BM20 Owner in US
Twitter: @PerzellBrewing
FB: Perzell Brewing
Pinterest: PBrewing
Shop: TeePublic Storefront
PerzellBrewing

Unread postby niels » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:44 pm

Eriksbier wrote:Does Speidel know about this forum by the way?

Yes, they regularly visit this forum to have an idea of what lives amongst us.

And sometimes I bundle a few questions in an e-mail to get their opinion or answers.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby bruulog » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:04 pm

bruulog wrote:...
1) Make the malt pipe in two parts so it can be used for 25 and 50 l

Can be done with 3 upright "posts" on the top edge of the bottom cylinder and food grade 2 channel rubber between the two cylinders.

bruulog wrote:...

Can be done with 2 3-way valve like this :
prod69.jpg
3-way valve
prod69.jpg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

If you figure out elegant way to to get around the small problem - BM pumps are not self-priming. I think running it reverse to get the tubes filled will do the trick.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby Jake99 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:15 am

Any news yet about which software changes that will be integrated in the newer released BM and the wlan ?
Jake99

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby chris172 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:18 am

I think I read somewhere that it's been put back until June/July :(
chris172

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby johnrm » Sat May 02, 2015 1:34 pm

I see the lan module mentioned here for EUR200...
http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopi ... 23#p120423
Last edited by johnrm on Mon May 04, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnrm

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements