An exciting announcement from Speidel

Braumeisters.net announcements

An exciting announcement from Speidel

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Last week I contacted Ralf (from Speidel) regarding some rumours I've read on another forum. And today I can share some exciting news with you.

Last week Speidel presented a new 10l Braumeister model on the Brau Beviale. Besides a new 10l model they also presented the new upgrade 20l and 50l models.

The new Braumeister models will feature a memory function for 10 different recipes, a network connection for remote monitoring and a TFT screen which will allow for the user to see the full recipe and easily change it.

The network functionalities will not be ready with the launch of the new model as Speidel is still developing the client software. They expect it to be available in about 4 months.

It is possible that there are more new features, but Ralf didn't specify these.

After receiving his first e-mail I replied with a few questions that I'm sure most of you will have after reading the above.

Q: Is there any info about pricing of the new 10l model? And will the new 20/50l models be priced the same as the current models or will the price increase because of the new features?
A: "The price is 1050 Euro + VAT for the new 10l. Not too far away from the new 20l price (1320 Euro), but it's the same control, same pump, heating element... just a little less material.
So the new price at the 20/50l is about 5% more. Not only because of the control, but also because the steel price was rising."

Q: Will you keep selling the current models as a lower price model?
A: "All old models have been sold now. So from now only the new model will be available."

Q: Is the only difference between the current model and the new model the control box or are the kettle/heating elements/pump(s) etc... changed too?
A: "Only the control has changed. The rest is the same."

Q: If only the control box is different, are owners of the current model able to upgrade their BM by replacing the control box?
A: "It is possible to replace the new control. But it will take a little time. Because at the moment it is our biggest effort to get as much controls as we can to produce the open orders.
Also we are not sure but maybe we will have back the old control and sell the new control for a special price to those old customers. We don't want that there are hundreds of old controls on the second hand market and everyone can buy it and built his own brewery. We are interested to sell new units to those."

Q: Can I already share this information on the forum or do you want me to keep it quiet for now?
A: "You can share this information on the forum."

Q: Are the hop timers still limited to 3 times or are they a bit more flexible in the new version?
A: "Still 3 hop times, but we will make an update in February with some more experiences from customers. And as long as we get the w-lan connection, everybody can flash the unit by himself to the latest update."

The most exciting of the above answers is the fact that Speidel will be selling the new control box to existing customers in the future. This means that we don't have to replace our whole unit to enjoy these new features.

Ralf will send me more information (leaflets) about the new models by mail in the coming week. I hope these will include some more info about the features and some photos. As soon as I receive the leaflets I will scan them and put them here for everyone to read.

I also have some news you might get a bit jealous about. And it actually makes me smile that I'm in this position...
Ralf proposed to send me a demo unit to try out the new 10l model! Yes, you've read it correct. I will be able to spend some time with the 10l Braumeister and I will report back to you.
I don't know when I'll be receiving the unit and how long I can keep it before sending it back, but I'm playing with the idea of making it a bit of a forum event. Of course, not everyone can simply come over to Belgium to attend a brew with it, but maybe we can build a recipe together that I'll be brewing and documenting. Members who would like to come over are welcome to attend the brew, too.

Voila... that's it for now. Please feel free to comment and propose questions that I can forward to Ralf.

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: An exciting announcement from Speidel

Unread postby Jacques » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:18 pm

That is very existing and very clever from Speidel. They take care of their actual customers.
You did a great job with your complete and accurate questions.
Thank you very much Niels.
I will clearly upgrade to the new controller when it will be fully connected to their future software.

Jacques

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Jacques wrote:I will clearly upgrade to the new controller when it will be fully connected to their future software.

I'm not sure if the software is used for monitoring only or if you'll also be able to control the BM remotely. This is the top question I forgot to ask.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby swiggingpig » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Jacques wrote:That is very existing and very clever from Speidel. They take care of their actual customers.
You did a great job with your complete and accurate questions.
Thank you very much Niels.
I will clearly upgrade to the new controller when it will be fully connected to their future software.

20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby mooncat » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Ahhhh just ordered A 20lt from BrewUk. Think I need a chat with them about this.
mooncat

Unread postby Dan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Awesome news! and thanks for relaying those Q & A's Niels.
Risky move for Speidel putting out a 10L model - I hope it pays off for them.
The new control box sounds fantastic. I'll be very interested to hear Ralf's plans for trade-ins.
Dan

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:02 pm

+1
Really eager to see the specs of the new control box...
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:04 pm

Dan wrote:Risky move for Speidel putting out a 10L model - I hope it pays off for them.

It looks like the 10l model uses all components of the 20l model except for the "kettle" and I assume it uses the short malt pipe from the 20l. So it might not be such a big investment on their part.

This is what Ralf said about his experiences with the 10l model:
Ralf from Speidel wrote:The 10l model is absolutely easy handle.
And I love my 50l Braumeister at home, but since I have brewed with the 10l Braumeister I could brew every day, just for fun - real fun. It's so easy and nice. I make the funniest beers ever now.

Note: I suppose he means "funnest" (as in "most fun") instead of funniest.

I really look forward to trying out this model. I expect to be able to simply put it under the hood in the kitchen and brew while continuing my daily routine at home. Brewing with my BM50 (or even a BM20) has to happen in the basement or outdoors as it will not fit under the hood in the kitchen. The thought of brewing a weekly 10 liter batch without altering my daily routines too much looks promising. Who knows that I might downgrade... ;)

But of course, I will have to test and evaluate before making this kind of decision. A major drawback is the limited output when asked for brewing a special occasion beer.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:27 pm

We will be caravanning in the mext year or so and I was trying to work out how to brew "on the road" so to speak.
I was considering a 10 l malt pipe or cut holes in my 20 litre like I saw on a US forum but the ten ltr jobby might be the go.

Wont my missus be happy :lol: :lol:

The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby ibbones » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing the new goodies. :beer:
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:51 pm

niels wrote:
Q: If only the control box is different, are owners of the current model able to upgrade their BM by replacing the control box?
A: "It is possible to replace the new control. But it will take a little time. Because at the moment it is our biggest effort to get as much controls as we can to produce the open orders.
Also we are not sure but maybe we will have back the old control and sell the new control for a special price to those old customers. We don't want that there are hundreds of old controls on the second hand market and everyone can buy it and built his own brewery. We are interested to sell new units to those."

- Niels

Now that is exciting news, especially if we can upgrade the control box and then flash with future upgrades.

Next question will be can we get the new box before returning the old one? I ask this as postage from Australia to Germany and back could take a while and I don't want to be without a control box and so without a BM.

Or will this be done via the dealer network?
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Dan wrote:Risky move for Speidel putting out a 10L model

Especially given that there is such a small difference in price between that and the 20L and that there is a 10L Malt Pipe available for the 20L.

Would suit anyone with very limited space though. Caravans and the like :D
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:21 am

How would you go if you just told them your old control box burnt out as you got water in it and just bought the new box.....then build a ten litre clone "brewmister" :D with the old control box. :roll: :?

Not that I would do that..... :wink:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Dan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:58 am

Dicko wrote:We will be caravanning in the mext year or so and I was trying to work out how to brew "on the road" so to speak.
I was considering a 10 l malt pipe or cut holes in my 20 litre like I saw on a US forum but the ten ltr jobby might be the go.

Wont my missus be happy :lol: :lol:

I'm sure she'd be happier for you to plan each stop at a different brewery/bar! :beer:

Dicko wrote:How would you go if you just told them your old control box burnt out as you got water in it and just bought the new box.....then build a ten litre clone "brewmister" :D with the old control box. :roll: :?

Not that I would do that..... :wink:

I wonder how many "warranty" boxes would be sent before Ralf got suspicious :lol:
Dan

Unread postby MattSR » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:57 am

This is awesome! I'll be in line for the upgrade on my 50L for sure!

I did always think the controller was a bit rudimentary for such a sophisticated machine, and this just makes a perfect machine even more desirable!
MattSR

Next

Return to Announcements