Oak chips

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Oak chips

Unread postby niels » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:59 am

Normally I would have bottled my quadrupel this weekend, but life got in the way.

So... I will be leaving it in secondary for another 2 weeks. As I will be having a brew day on the 7th of March it will now be also a bottling day.

My father-in-law has a bag of French oak chips (medium toast) laying around for his wine making, so I decided to siphon off part of my brew into a new vessel with some oak chips in it. This way I will have a nice split batch to compare.

Does have anyone has any experience using oak chips? Do I better use a lot for a short time or would it be better to put in less for a longer period?

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

RE: Oak chips

Unread postby Dan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:12 am

Not a lot of experience, but I've oaked one beer before using cubes. These are supposed to be best for longer contact time (a month or 2) as it takes a while for the inner flavours to come through. But they give a better depth of flavour.
I soaked 60g of cubes in shiraz, then lightly toasted and racked 20L of strong stout onto them for 1 month. Oak character is minimal, but noticeable.
Chips, having a larger surface area:volume require less contact time. It's been a while since I researched, but I'm thinking a week or 2 may be sufficient for chips.
Dan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:44 pm

i think with the chips you extract oakiness pretty quickly. i have used the french medium chips a few times for oaked ciders, and man a little goes a long way. i now always err on the small side.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:02 am

I've splitted the batch in 2x 10L on Monday evening and added 30gr of medium toasted French oak chips to one of them (using a hop bag). Tonight I will do a little sampling :)

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions