Yeast nutrients

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Yeast nutrients

Unread postby niels » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:38 am

Does anyone use yeast nutrients (e.g. Wyeast Nutrient Blend)? I did have some problems fermenting my witbier and was thinking about adding some nutrients to the boil in the future.

When reading on the Interwebs you find a lot of positive info, but I also have found reactions of people that claim the use of nutrients gives you off flavours.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

RE: Yeast nutrients

Unread postby Dan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:06 am

It would be interesting to hear a pro brewer's P.O.V. on this. Or at least someone who has tried the same trusted recipe over and over again, then tried no nutrient vs varying amounts of nutrients.
I have always added 2.5g / 20-22L batch simply because it's what I'm supposed to do according to all the reading/listening I've done. But I've never tried a brew without.
Dan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:15 am

I always use yeast nutrients - either Wyeast Nutrient Blend ("WNB") or Servomyces.

For the former - the dosage is 1/2 teaspoon and for the latter - it is one tiny capsule.

Given these de minimis amounts, I think that whoever on the interwebs is trying to blame the yeast nutrients for the off-flavors, may want to re-examine other aspects of their brewing.

Couple of tips:

1.) For WNB, I give it additional crush in a mortar with a pestle to turn it into a sand-like substance. Then I mix it in half a cup of boiling water and mix that into the wort.

2.) For Servo, I noticed that sometimes a capsule doesn't melt even after a 10-minute boil. So when I use a Servo, I would just open the capsule and dump the nutrient contents into the boiling wort.

Unread postby fy0d0r » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 am

I've been using one capsule of Servomyces per 25-30L batch, no off-flavours.
Noted a bit faster fermentation though.

I also use Fermaid-K for the starters along with a drop of virgin olive oil.

Don't think that nutrients make much difference in terms of fermentation for "regular" (up to 15 Plato OG) beers, I'd rather look into yeast pitch rates/methods in case of fermentation problems.
fy0d0r

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 am

fy0d0r - I understand that Fermaid-K is more of a wine/mead yeast nutrient.

Just curious why you chose that particular yeast nutrient over the ones specifically designed for beer yeasts?

Unread postby fy0d0r » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:18 pm

In fact most yeast nutrients consist of the source of Nitrogen - DAP (more important for Wine/Mead as Beer Wort should have enough) + source of minerals (zinc in particular), vitamins (Biotin) and amino-acids - (most often dead yeast, sometimes specially cultivated in mineral-enriched wort)

So applicability of one or another brand for Wine/Beer is more of Marketing dept and maybe proportion of DAP/Dead Yeast in the mix.

I just use Fermaid for starters because it is much cheaper and I can put more not being afraid of some off-flavors as I pitch sediment only, not the whole 2L starter.

BTW, there are two nice articles on DIY Yeast Nutrients:
http://bkyeast.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/homebrewed-yeast-extract/
http://bkyeast.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/yeast-extract-update/
Last edited by fy0d0r on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fy0d0r

Unread postby Batz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm

I have used them and found they made no difference at all. I don't use them now.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks for sharing fy0d0r!

Interesting articles.

Unread postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:24 pm

I never do. Keep in mind that the Wyeast smack packs already contain yeast nutrients. If you add more, you'll probably get off flavors. I've never had a problem with Fermentis yeast without adding nutrients.
Elderberry

Unread postby swiggingpig » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Batz wrote:I have used them and found they made no difference at all. I don't use them now.

Batz

+1
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Return to General Brewing Discussions