20L element diameter?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

20L element diameter?

Unread postby stevodevo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:56 am

Hi,

Just wondering if someone can post the inner diameter of the 20L elements so I can match an immersion chiller to it? I have my eye on this one at my local home brew store. At 26cm diameter I would've thought it would fit, but I just want to confirm. I would like the chiller to go all the way to the bottom, down through the element - not resting on top of the element.

Thanks!

Description
304 Stainless steel coil immersion chiller
12mm x 14 metre with 3/4 BSP female/male fittings
(ready to simply connect your garden hose)
Coiled part of the chiller 28cm high x 26cm diameter
Total height 65cm
ideal for keggles and large boilers
stevodevo

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: 20L element diameter?

Unread postby HopSong » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:12 pm

I don't have the measurements ATM.. but, as a suggestion.. for me anyhow.. I don't like to let the chiller sit idle in the boiler during the cooling. I like to agitate the wort by moving the chiller up and down keeping fresh, hot wort in contact with the chiller.. I have yet to try it in the BM.. but, I'll soon find out.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby stevodevo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks - my thoughts exactly regarding moving the chiller around. That's why I'm keen to get it down to the bottom to make sure I don't have any dead spots. I find all my previous brews cool better when the chiller can move down through the whole pot, but I've never used an electric element style kettle. My very last brew was a different story with my new BIAB setup (first and last brew using it now that I've order my new toy), when I didn't account for the thermometer probe getting in the way of the chiller :-(
stevodevo

Unread postby paulg » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:32 pm

I dont move my immersion chiller up and down but run the pump in manual once temp drops below 85c this moves the wort oround and through the coils of the chiller stopping dead spots
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Wezzel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:40 pm

No good for me though as I use loose hops and they would clog the pump.
Wezzel

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:17 pm

stevodevo wrote:Hi,

Just wondering if someone can post the inner diameter of the 20L elements so I can match an immersion chiller to it? I have my eye on this one at my local home brew store. At 26cm diameter I would've thought it would fit, but I just want to confirm. I would like the chiller to go all the way to the bottom, down through the element - not resting on top of the element.

Thanks!

Description
304 Stainless steel coil immersion chiller
12mm x 14 metre with 3/4 BSP female/male fittings
(ready to simply connect your garden hose)
Coiled part of the chiller 28cm high x 26cm diameter
Total height 65cm
ideal for keggles and large boilers

I have what appears to be the same chiller as the one pictured and it fits perfectly into the 20 litre machine.

With a standard batch volume of around 25 litres then the chiller is a perfect height as well.

I tend to do what others have suggested and lift the chiller up and down during the process.

I also leave the pump running and that makes a lot of difference with the speed of cooling the wort.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby stevodevo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:19 pm

Thanks guys. Still keen to get the exact measurement if anyone can be bothered grabbing it for me. I'm pretty confident I can go ahead and order one of those chillers though :beer:
stevodevo

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:54 am

stevodevo wrote:Thanks guys. Still keen to get the exact measurement if anyone can be bothered grabbing it for me. I'm pretty confident I can go ahead and order one of those chillers though :beer:

Just ran outside and measured. 28cm diameter measure from the heater element mounting bolt to the bolt on the other side, 29cm measured from coil to coil at tightest point.

Unread postby stevodevo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:08 am

Thanks Nesto - much appreciated!
stevodevo

Return to General Brewing Discussions