Yeast Starter - Quantity right?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Yeast Starter - Quantity right?

Unread postby niels » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:17 pm

stevodevo wrote:I never knew this. I haven't done a yeast starter yet, but I've just bought all the gear to start making them for future brews. I've always seen people just covering the flask with aluminium foil, and assumed I was going a step better by getting myself a bung and air lock to do mine. So are we saying there is no risk of infecting the starter by leaving the container unsealed? I assume this is due to the very high concentration of good yeast present in the starter?

If you cover the flask with (sanitised) aluminium foil the risk of bacteria/dust/... entering is very small since the pressure in the flask is higher than outside. The aluminium foil doesn't seal the flask airtight so the carbon dioxide can easily escape.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:31 am

niels wrote:
stevodevo wrote:I never knew this. I haven't done a yeast starter yet, but I've just bought all the gear to start making them for future brews. I've always seen people just covering the flask with aluminium foil, and assumed I was going a step better by getting myself a bung and air lock to do mine. So are we saying there is no risk of infecting the starter by leaving the container unsealed? I assume this is due to the very high concentration of good yeast present in the starter?

If you cover the flask with (sanitised) aluminium foil the risk of bacteria/dust/... entering is very small since the pressure in the flask is higher than outside. The aluminium foil doesn't seal the flask airtight so the carbon dioxide can easily escape.

- Niels

Yup! I keep a spray bottle with StarSan (use it for all sorts of stuff) that I use to sanitize aluminium foil for starters. I don't bother with an airlock on starters, the sanitized foil will do just fine for the few days between creating the starter and pitching it. >100 starters made and never an infection :) The risk will be low as long as you don't put it next to your open wild fermenter or your home made pickling operation ;)

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:19 am

A piece of foil + StarSan combo has been my modus operandi for years.

Never had any issues.

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:50 am

It has always seemed to me the greatest infection risk in the brewery is from malt dust from milling the malt (or moving grain sacks, or moving the mill at all), which should be laden with lactic acid bacteria, and which coats everything in a fine powder in the greater vicinity of the mil, however carefully it's done. That and insects, mostly fruit flies, which are notorious distribution hubs for acetobacter. The insects you can do your best to minimize, but most of us can't do a lot about the dust, yet some people are less worried about dust then opening a bottle of lambic in the same house as a sealed fermenter, or than their next door neighbor's fermented carrots! Anyways, add me to the list of happy tin foil + starsan users. Also I do a bit of mirobiology for work, and it's a pretty common way to grow various microbes; if you're fancy you include a foam plug in the flask neck and then tinfoil over the top, if you're budget like me just a double layer of foil, autoclave, cool, inoculate, and into the shaking incubator, same as a starter.
dinnerstick

Unread postby stevodevo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:45 am

Tin foil it is then... it's fairly typical for me to over think these things
stevodevo

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Another top tip, try and remember to chuck the stirbar in just after you remove your flask of wort from the boil - just another step to lower the risk of infection.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:08 pm

BrauTim wrote:Another top tip, try and remember to chuck the stirbar in just after you remove your flask of wort from the boil - just another step to lower the risk of infection.

Can I suggest waiting a minute or so. I chucked the stirbar in immediately one time and had an immediate boil over... it was more than a little funny, especially since I did not burn myself. Now, I let the stirbar sit in vodka until the starter wort has cooled a bit and then put it in.

Unread postby Oz11 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Stir bar goes in at the start so it gets a full boil. Doesn't seem to be doing it any harm. It is still magentic :beer:
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Nesto wrote:
BrauTim wrote:Another top tip, try and remember to chuck the stirbar in just after you remove your flask of wort from the boil - just another step to lower the risk of infection.

Can I suggest waiting a minute or so. I chucked the stirbar in immediately one time and had an immediate boil over... it was more than a little funny, especially since I did not burn myself. Now, I let the stirbar sit in vodka until the starter wort has cooled a bit and then put it in.

Yes good safety point, give it a minute or two first.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Avispartner » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 am

Avispartner wrote:Nothing exciting, but this my first yeast starter ever, settling down after 48 hrs on the stir plate. Leaving it to rest until tomorrow morning then cold crashing until Saturday brew day.

Only a little status update on my first yeast starter adventure :-). Pitched it yesterday evening around 7pm and went checking this morning: it is already happily bubbling in my fermentation fridge. :D

I hope the beer turns out ok now...
Avispartner

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions