Immersion chiller: how fast should water run?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Immersion chiller: how fast should water run?

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:31 pm

I'm quite happy with the IC chiller.
The trub inside the BM was huge... previously I used a plate chiller.
After chilling to 14C during 45 minutes I kept the wort in the BM for 30 minutes and the trub loss was 5 liters :shock: I only got 19 liters into the fermentor!!
Do you suggest to prolong the pause after chilling in order to improve my trub loss? for how long?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby 3LB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:18 pm

Last two brews I've used a whirlpooling effect at the end of the chilling period, leaving everything to settle for about 15 minutes (clean IC, get fermentor ready and set up in front of the Braumeister, have coffee).

This separated the trub quite nicely for me, I definitely didn't lose 4 liters (next time I'll check how much I actually do lose).

By the way, I should say that I use hop cones in mesh bags, not loose hop in any form. So I fish out all hops before I start the whirlpool. I don't leave the hops to drip for a prolonged period so there's some loss there too, but this doesn't even make it into the trub pile.

What kind of recipe did you use? How did you add your hops?
3LB

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Louis

I have measured my trub the last three brews. It's been between 3 and 4 liters. This is after tilting quite a lot to get maximum out. I slow down the outflow so as not to create a too strong suction. Note it is in a 50l machine. I use hop pellets and I whirlpool before inserting the cooling coil. Plus I use a whirlfloc (equivalent) tablet about 10 minutes before end of boil to help settle. Wort has been very clear. Hope this helps.

Dirk
Fritzkellerbrau

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Luis Coentrao wrote:I'm quite happy with the IC chiller.
The trub inside the BM was huge... previously I used a plate chiller.
After chilling to 14C during 45 minutes I kept the wort in the BM for 30 minutes and the trub loss was 5 liters :shock: I only got 19 liters into the fermentor!!
Do you suggest to prolong the pause after chilling in order to improve my trub loss? for how long?

Luis,

I leave my wort settle for around an hour for crystal clear wort and a hard layer of trub on the bottom.

I adjust my software to get between 20 and 21 litres into the fermenter which will give me a Corny keg full at the end

Since I have been using my hop basket I have usually only had around 3 litres of trub as opposed to the 4 to 5 that I was getting prior to the basket being introduced to my brewing procedure.
I will add that I mainly only use pellet hop due to my location being very difficult to get fresh flowers.

Edit: I should add here that I too, tip my kettle and drain until the trub is about to run out.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:45 pm

Thank you guys :cheers:
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby MattSR » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:30 am

Dicko wrote:I leave my wort settle for around an hour for crystal clear wort and a hard layer of trub on the bottom.

Hi Dicko,

Just curious if you do this at the chilled temp or while its still boiling..

Cheers,
Matt
MattSR

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:14 am

MattSR wrote:
Dicko wrote:I leave my wort settle for around an hour for crystal clear wort and a hard layer of trub on the bottom.

Hi Dicko,

Just curious if you do this at the chilled temp or while its still boiling..

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt,

I run the immersion chiller until I get to pitching temp and leave it to settle out.
Adds a bit of time to brewday but optimises the whole brew to maximum amount and fairly clear wort, particularly if you use brewbrite.
I use this time to clean up, or just drink beer, or just think about my next brew, or all three. :lol:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions