HM Digital PH-200 - Waterproof pH Meter

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

HM Digital PH-200 - Waterproof pH Meter

Unread postby niels » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:00 am

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a pH meter. After a lot of searching/reading/pondering I went for the HM Digital PH-200.

It isn't the most fanct pH meter around, but these are the pros:
  • Resolution: 0.01 pH; 0.1 °C/F
  • Accuracy: +/- 0.02 pH; Temperature +/- 2%
  • Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
  • Digital automatic calibration (one point) with digital fine tuning
  • IP-67 Waterproof (submersible; floats)
  • Replaceable glass sensor and reference tube electrodes

This all comes for the price of about 60~90 EUR (depending on the seller). I paid GBP 57,54 (~69,14 EUR) for the pH meter and GBP 11,54 (~13,87 EUR) for a set of 12 packets of buffer solutions. I bought it from a EU seller so I have an ability to claim warranty when the meter would break down. If I ordered it from some seller in the Far East it would be much more difficult.

For reference: this review/forum thread made me decide on the PH-200 as the reviewer is pretty impressed by the quality (in relation to the price!).

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

RE: HM Digital PH-200 - Waterproof pH Meter

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:13 am

Nice buy! Does it also have dual point calibration?

I also just received my Hanna 99151 pH meter last week - used it for the first time to brew the porter on Sunday.

Managed to get my mash to pH 5.35 (@ room temp, of course) - wonder if the beer would turn out any better than usual :drink:

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:08 am

cpa4ny wrote:Nice buy! Does it also have dual point calibration?

Nope, it only has one point calibration and that's the major downside. It is three point calibrated at the factory, though.

I will be calibrating it with 4.00 pH buffer as this is closest to the working range we need.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:14 pm

niels- that link was from a cannabis growers' website... i thought we were brewing beer!
i am relatively skeptical on those hand held meters as the electrodes tend to go, so i will be curious how you get on with yours. it looks pretty ok actually...
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:27 pm

dinnerstick wrote:niels- that link was from a cannabis growers' website... i thought we were brewing beer!
i am relatively skeptical on those hand held meters as the electrodes tend to go, so i will be curious how you get on with yours. it looks pretty ok actually...

Yes, I know that the link isn't going to a beer related website :) But hops and cannabis are related to each other, though! :p

I've read multiple reviews about this pH meter on homebrew related websites too, but the above review was pretty complete and convincing. Also because he reports back after a while!

Well... I would rather have bought one of these but at about 215 EUR it is a bit too pricey at the moment.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:23 pm

i know, i have a phd in plant genetics! (seriously!)
where did you buy the meter? i am also considering. not too expensive to change the probe in a few years.
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:29 pm

I bought the Hanna 98128 from Farnell (in the UK) at this link....Hanna 98128

The manufacturers link is here.....Hanna Instruments 98128

I've used it since July 2013 and calibrated it a couple of times since, it doesn't drift much in-between uses, I also use it a couple of times a week for measuring the pH of hottub water so it gets a reasonable workout. It dual calibrates and has ATC, as well as the cleaning and calibration solutions I also bought the storage solution but have been totally lazy in using it and the bottle is still sealed :o
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:08 am

My set only included one 20 ml packet for pH 4.0 calibration & one 20 ml pack for pH 7.0 calibration.

Need to pick up some additional calibration solution + electrode storage solution.
Last edited by cpa4ny on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:54 am

I think I may have said this somewhere before but I store mine in the ph 4 solution, which was recommended by my supplier.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby niels » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:01 am

BrauTim wrote:I bought the Hanna 98128 from Farnell (in the UK) at this link....Hanna 98128

The manufacturers link is here.....Hanna Instruments 98128

This one has been on top of my shortlist for a long while, but I eventually went for the PH-200 because of the price.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:45 am

Dicko wrote:I think I may have said this somewhere before but I store mine in the ph 4 solution, which was recommended by my supplier.

I believe so as well.

However, after my re-reading Hanna's website carefully, here's what they say:

"To minimize clogging and ensure a quick response time, the glass bulb of the pH electrode and the junction should be kept moist.
Replace protective cap with a few drops of a Storage Solution (HI 70300M), or in its absence, pH 7 (HI 7007M) or pH 4 (HI 7004M) buffers."

http://www.hannainst.com/usa/electrode_care.cfm

What I gather from the above is that using Storage Solution is still a preferable methodology.

Or maybe it's just their marketing trick to separate the users of their pH meters from their hard-earned dollars... :P

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:23 pm

When I bought mine I ordered over the phone and I actually asked for storage solution.
That was when I was told to use ph4 solution for storage.
Now there is two angles on this.
The first one is that ph4 is not as good and he knows I'll be back to buy a new electrode.
Or he was being completely honest with me.
:D:D
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks for sharing Dicko! :beer:

I think i'll need to do more research on this one.

Unread postby niels » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:11 am

The mailman (he is actually a she) delivered my pH meter this morning. Since I had to leave for work I only opened the package to take a quick look. First impressions of the build quality are good!

There are people coming over tonight so I will not be spending much time with it yet. I will do a small "unboxing/first impressions/calibration" report during the weekend.

Dicko wrote:When I bought mine I ordered over the phone and I actually asked for storage solution.
That was when I was told to use ph4 solution for storage.

Regarding probe storage I've found this in the manual (which I checked online prior to ordering):

7. PROBE STORAGE: Storing the probe in a 4 pH KCl buffer solution is preferred (the meter is shipped with this solution in the cap). It is okay to rinse the probe in distilled water, but never store the probe in distilled water. Storing the probe in a higher pH buffer solution will not damage it.

I hope this gives you some more info... I'm no chemist, so I will do some more searching about this KCl solution!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:22 am

Thanks for that info Niels, mine has been stored in ph4 solution for twelve months and the probe is still ok and the meter is calibrating accurately
Dicko

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions