MINIMUM STORAGE TEMPERATURE FOR BEER

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

MINIMUM STORAGE TEMPERATURE FOR BEER

Unread postby JPSussex » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:13 am

Folks,

Can anyone out there give any advice on the minimum storage temperature for beer please?

I store my beer, in bottles and pressure kegs, in an old stone outhouse in the garden, so great in the summer for keeping it cool but this time of year it is gradually getting colder. A majority of my beer is British style which is best served at 12degC I know, but what is the minimum temperature it can be stored at without causing it any harm?

Any advice gratefully received.
JPSussex

Model: 20 litres

Re: MINIMUM STORAGE TEMPERATURE FOR BEER

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:54 pm

Really as close to 0c as you can get it to preserve the beer best. All of the staling reactions take place slower at lower temperatures. 5% alcohol solution freezes a little below 0, maybe -3? not sure. So, anything above freezing. You can easily warm it to drinking temperature as needed.
I have heard it postulated that high differential temperature changes are particularly bad for bottled beer, as oxygen can enter even though the cap is sealed, leading to premature staling. I don't quite get this, as there is always higher pressure inside than out, so air shouldn't get it theoretically, but there you go.
dinnerstick

Unread postby BrauTim » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:17 pm

About -2°C depending on the alcohol level. I've had 4% beer at -2°C with a big lump of ice in it, here's an interesting Q & A on the subject https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 527AAiatsV I did find a freezing point chart on the web once but can't locate it just at the moment.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby JPSussex » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:33 pm

That's great thanks, just above 0 degC it is!
JPSussex

Return to General Brewing Discussions