Happy Thanksgiving!

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:34 am

To those of you in both the U.S. and abroad, a happy holiday season! We're celebrating Thanksgiving here in the States today when we thank those around us virtually and IRL. Give those who make your life fun a big thanks today and every day!

Model: 20 litres

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Unread postby HopSong » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:18 am

Too much turkey today... But it sure was good.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:02 am

my braumeister was put to use. we had 10 people in total for dinner. of course we drank the bokbier i have on tap that was made on the BM, but the BM was also used as a holding water bath (sous vide bath was full!) to keep the giant bag of mashed potatoes warm at 70. as for the turkeys (2 small ones), i deboned the legs and made roulade (exactly per this recipe http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/turkey-roulade), salt cured and sous vide cooked the middle wing segments (10h at 58) and then deep fried, brined (7% NaCl overnight) the two crowns and barbecued over indirect heat to a core temp of 67, then chucked in the super hot oven to crisp up a bit more. made gravy from the leg bones and trimmings, and chicken stock that i made before.
best turkey ever!
bbq butternut squash, steamed peas, hazelut & sage stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, roasted brussel sprouts, etc.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Elderberry » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:17 am

dinnerstick wrote: ...to keep the giant bag of mashed potatoes warm at 70...

Brilliant! I'm cooking a small, traditional-ish (I'm using Quorn roast instead of turkey) dinner for the in-laws on Saturday. I was trying to think of how I could cook more stuff, like potatoes, in advance and keep them warm.

Do you take any measures to keep the bag off the heating elements?
Elderberry

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:20 am

yes. although in the past when i have used the BM as sous vide i have allowed the bag to touch the elements, and it has been fine. but i put both metal discs in, upside down. so the little sleeve faces down and lifts them up as far as possible off the bottom. then the bag is far enough away from the element.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Elderberry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:49 pm

I made mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes ahead of time. They quantities weren't that big, so they fit inside the malt pipe, keeping the bags away from the elements. It worked great! Thanks for the tip!
Elderberry

Return to General Brewing Discussions