Post Mash Grain Debris

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Post Mash Grain Debris

Unread postby Batz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:25 am

Thanks Wobbly,
I have quite a bit of good quality Swiss Voile from when I filtered honey, (I had bees at one insane time). I'll give this a try my next brew day, I had a brew day today that went rather badly. :(
Double brew day, got the grains mixed up, oh well couple of interesting beers for Xmas. :cheers:

Thanks for you time mate! Much appreciated.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Wobbly » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:04 am

My brew day was one I should have stopped and tried again tomorrow!!! See my post under silly things you have done!!

Wobbly
Wobbly

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Popeye » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Great idea to keep the particles contained.
In my past brews I have had a few issues with debris -
I have forgotten to quit the pump when filling in the malt. This did cause overflow of grist and the pump to block up and resulted in grain being burned by the element because I continued with the brew.
I have had crush issues being too fine or too coarse. The results were fountains in the mash cycle when too fine, and achieving numbers out of spec from the recipe in both situations
My solutions are checking and adjusting grain crush, using 2 filters on top of grist (have used 3)
I also interrupt the mash cycle to stir the grist a couple of times through the mash cycle.
OG numbers improve with that.
Popeye

Model: 20 litres

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions