Post Mash Grain Debris

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Post Mash Grain Debris

Unread postby Oz11 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:48 am

Don't know whether you'll be able see this clearly, but does anyone else get as much debris carried over to the boil as I do?
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.
Model: 20 litres

Re: Post Mash Grain Debris

Unread postby Lylo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:39 pm

I always have some debris carry over, similar to what your pic shows. I have no problem with it.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, it depends on the crush for me (I crush my own), if it's a spot on crush where I get 80+% efficiency then there'll hardly be a grain let loose, if I've messed up the crush and it's too fine then I can be spending a good 10 mins sieving out grains as the wort is reaching the boil.

Today's brew was spot on :D

:beer:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:17 am

Fully agree with Tim
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Oz11 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks guys, I get mine from my brewery so changing crush isn't really an option unless I want additional expense :shock:

I haven't tried sieving the debris out, maybe next time. I'm thinking a relatively small amount isn't going to affect the finished beer.
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.

Unread postby Lylo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

I wouldn't try "sieving the debris" a lot of what you see floating around is the stuff your beer is made of! Don't sweat the small stuff.
Lylo

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Lylo wrote:I wouldn't try "sieving the debris" a lot of what you see floating around is the stuff your beer is made of! Don't sweat the small stuff.

I read somewhere (I can't find the reference now) that starch granules left in the wort can affect the clarity of the finished beer. I've noticed this to be the case with some of my beers when I ended up sieving the wort compared to wort I haven't needed to sieve, the choice is obviously the brewers, but it seems to work for me.

On a side note, I'll also usually (but not every time) sieve the initial [dirty] foam from the wort as it's reaching boiling point as I believe this is another step towards helping clarity of the final beer, it's all debatable what difference it makes, however it's not exactly expensive on time or cash and makes me feel better.

And it makes me feel better because I like my beer to shine, for me a cloudy beer that is not supposed to be cloudy is a flaw, I also like my beer to shine early because beer doesn't last long in my household, waiting weeks for clarity is not always an option. The problem is that when I make a wheat beer I usually end up with a crystalweizen, but I'm working on that, I think it's possibly something to do with the Calcium levels in my water (125ppm).

:cheers:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Wobbly » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:02 pm

I once had some grain block the pump (stop the flow) half way through a mash and had to empty the BM and remove the pump to clearit. Not something I want to do every brew!!

To prevent this from happening again after installing the top filter screen I now place a piece of Swiss Voile over the top of the malt pipe before putting on the clamp bar and hold the SV in place around the outer diameter of the MP with a piece of elastic I pinched from SWMBO's sewing room.

It works a treat and stops any grain particles, even the small ones, from escaping the MP and during the mash

Simple, cheap and effective

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby Batz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:08 am

Wobbly wrote:I once had some grain block the pump (stop the flow) half way through a mash and had to empty the BM and remove the pump to clearit. Not something I want to do every brew!!

To prevent this from happening again after installing the top filter screen I now place a piece of Swiss Voile over the top of the malt pipe before putting on the clamp bar and hold the SV in place around the outer diameter of the MP with a piece of elastic I pinched from SWMBO's sewing room.

It works a treat and stops any grain particles, even the small ones, from escaping the MP and during the mash

Simple, cheap and effective

Cheers

Wobbly

I quite like the sound of this Wobbly, any chance of a few pictures of it on your next brew day.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Wobbly » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Will check out how well it will show up on a picture later today and if OK post it otherwise I will do a sketch of the principle

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby Popeye » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:52 am

Hi guys,
Sieve it out - the conversions should be finished and I would think the floaties have no value.
Has happened to me at times and I also worry about the pump efficiency - no good if that clogs up
Popeye

Unread postby Lylo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:47 pm

Sorry I thought you were somehow going to sieve the grain before you mashed, to remove some of the fine offending material. But I still say "don't sweat it. A short stand before draining the vessel will drop most of that out and the rest will settle out in the fermentor. After 34 brews I have yet to have any problem with particulate in my pump, and I have twice had LOTS of grain floating around due to forgetting to drop in the bottom screens! :oops: Long story.
Lylo

Unread postby Oz11 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Lylo wrote:....and I have twice had LOTS of grain floating around due to forgetting to drop in the bottom screens! :oops: Long story.

Ah... schoolboy error?! :lol:

Oz11

Unread postby royco » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Oz11 wrote:
Lylo wrote:....and I have twice had LOTS of grain floating around due to forgetting to drop in the bottom screens! :oops: Long story.

Ah... schoolboy error?! :lol:

Haha, I did the opposite; decided to multitask by leaving the heater on (manual) while pouring in the grain. Couldn't work out why the grain started cascading over the top until I realised I had switched the pump on as well. After saying "Well fancy that!" had to pull the pipe and fish out as much grain as I could with a sieve and then lower the pipe (alone). Finding the hole has never been so difficult.
royco

Unread postby Wobbly » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi Bats

Here are a couple of photos of what I use. Not the pretties piece of kit but it is Simple, Cheap and Effective

Cheers

Wobbly
Attachments
2014-11-26 06.39.03_resized.jpg
2014-11-26 06.31.21_resized.jpg
Wobbly

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions