Disaster. Undrinkable Wit

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Disaster. Undrinkable Wit

Unread postby royco » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:12 am

Forget it. Tossed it out yesterday after a final force-carb test. Horrible. I still think I clogged my filter with StarSan and it left lots of chlorine etc through.
Brewed another 50L batch on Sunday with a new filter and it has none of the soapy/chemical tastes.

I'll write this off to experience.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby niels » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Always a shame to toss away a brew. But now we all learned a lesson. Thanks for that, royco! ;)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Popeye » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 am

I have had 2 worts tipped down the toilet for the same reason.
The first ferment at ambient temp was slow to start but the took a very slow bubbling. I waited 2 weeks before checking the G levels and flavour was weird and like you describe. I waited again and added another yeast to improve ferment. When I lifted the fermenter lid, the smell was overpowering - taste strange. So with eyes watering, hairs falling out my nose, etc I poured it out in the toilet. It happened again so I took extra ordinary care with sanitising that fermenter before next use. So my guess is an infection. I take over the top care now when it comes to sanitising gear.
Cheers
Popeye

Model: 20 litres

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions