Run pump during chill?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Run pump during chill?

Unread postby redwing_al » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:52 am

I do not have a BM (yet).. wondering while chilling using an immersion chiller if you could also run the pump to circulate the wort? Not sure if that is a technique or not, but thought I would ask. Cheers!
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Re: Run pump during chill?

Unread postby Tipsy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:05 am

The pump will only run under a certain temperature.
I can't remember what it is, maybe someone else will chime in.
Tipsy

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:38 am

redwing_al wrote:I do not have a BM (yet).. wondering while chilling using an immersion chiller if you could also run the pump to circulate the wort? Not sure if that is a technique or not, but thought I would ask. Cheers!

You sure can!
Manual operation: Press the ↓ (1 sec) to go to manual operation of the Braumeister. Press START to switch the heating (H) on/off. Press ENTER to switch the pump (P). Set the temperature by means of the arrow keys. Return to the initial display of the Braumeister by simultaneously pressing ↓+↑.

I manually decrease the temp after boil to 20C, just so the heating element doesn't come on. I don't think it will in manual, but I've never checked.

The caveat is you have to be careful about clogging the pump while doing this. If you use whole hops, you probably should not try using the pump after he boil. Even pellet hops, you will have a lot of hop matter circulating through the pump. Assuming you don't clog the pump, you will have to make sure you clean it out after every brew.

Personally, I use a hop spider - it really cuts down on the kettle trub and makes this method work really well. I went from 45-60 minutes with my immersion chiller to get to 25C with 20C ground water, now down to about 15 minutes to do the same with the pump circulating.

... and I better not hear anyone bring up hot side aeration!
Last edited by Nesto on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby redwing_al » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:08 am

great to hear.. +1 on that ability for sure!
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Unread postby Dyrdlingur » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:27 am

Nesto wrote:I manually decrease the temp after boil to 20C, just so the heating element doesn't come on. I don't think it will in manual, but I've never checked.

If you do not press the Start Button in manual mode the heating element will not come on.
Dyrdlingur

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:00 am

the pump shuts off automatically above 80. with my immersion chiller and cool tap water i am very quickly down to 80, and i then run the pump to cool, it helps quite a bit to cut cooling time, given nesto's caveats above. whole hops are a definite no-no for the pump. a little bit of pellet hop is no problem, say a bittering charge for an english pale, i throw that in free range and can still run the pump. if i'm doing american pale ale amounts or higher, then i use hop bags so i can still run the pump. (haven't invested in a hop spider yet but i think it's in my future as i don't really like hop bags.) i want them in during cooling so i pin the to the bottom of the kettle with the chiller such that they are not blocking the inlet. this is not a precise science, just check that the pump isn't straining, you will hear it.
however the last brew i did (dry stout with <50g pellets) i got quite a bit of grain (pulverized roast) sneaking around the screen, and between that and the irish moss and the hops, the pump completely clogged. so keep an ear out, and if it sounds at all weird, shut it down. it is easy enough to unclog the pump after the brew, so don't worry about that until cleaning. if you have a hose that fits into the holes you can just blow it out with water in both directions. this is generally sufficient to clean it out, before oxi or pbw cleaning, and then of course you can take it apart for inspection, which i generally find unnecessary after a good cleaning.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:06 pm

I run my pump during the chilling process.
It speeds up the chilling time as others have said.
I have never had a clogged pump and I only ever use pellet hops.....but not to say that it may not happen in the future.
When you first turn the pump on you will see all the hop material being stirred up in the wort.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby niels » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:29 pm

As running the pump during chilling will mix the cold break again I was wondering if you let the trub settle before transferring the wort to your fermentor?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:03 pm

niels wrote:As running the pump during chilling will mix the cold break again I was wondering if you let the trub settle before transferring the wort to your fermentor?

- Niels

Yes Niels, I allow all trub to settle in the kettle before I drain into the fermenter.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby zoigl » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:16 pm

I use a small pump that handles boiling wort and use this to create a whirlpool inside the immersion chiller. I use silicon tube attached to the tap and feed the hot wort back inside the chiller. I can get the boiling wort down to 18 c in about 20 minutes and end up with a nice cone in the bottom of the 50 l. BM.
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!
zoigl

Unread postby ibbones » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:19 am

Not a lot of help as I only have two brews in but both times I run my pump while the chiller is in. It does mix things up a bit but I also whirlpool and let it set for 20-30 minutes to settle out.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:28 am

niels wrote:As running the pump during chilling will mix the cold break again I was wondering if you let the trub settle before transferring the wort to your fermentor?

- Niels

of course! i shut off the pump, remove the chiller, attempting to for a whirlpool using the chiller while removing it, which always ends up being pointless as any cone that might form is disturbed when i tilt the kettle, put on the lid, and cover it with a towel just to keep flies and dust away from the slits in the lid. i then forget it for at least 30 minutes, maybe an hour. take a nice walk or read a fashion article, debone a herring. chisel away at some wooden shoes. then knock out to fermenter, which was prepared during the boil or chill.
dinnerstick

Unread postby jimswms » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:47 pm

I've done it on both of my brews so far. My first was 140grams of hops and had no problem clogging the pump. I wait until around 60 to turn it on.
jimswms

Unread postby 3LB » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:33 pm

Silly question (maybe) but I've been wondering:

How fast should the water flow through the chiller when cooling?

Fast at first, then gradually decrease the flow of the water as the temperature drops (to allow for a longer heat exchange time between wort and chiller)?

Or just "full blast all the way"?

I'm asking because last Saturday it took close to 60 minutes to get 22l of wort down to pitching temp, even with the pump running <80 degrees. Needs to be improved!

(Tap water is 10 degrees currently, by the way.)

Thanks!
John
3LB

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Definitely don't run the pumps will whole hops and definitely don't ask me how I know :D

A small (maybe submersible) pump to create a gentle whirlpool effect would be a better option, it doesn't need to be boil proof as the immersion chiller will get the temp down to 80C in no time at all, it's really below about 40C that things start to slow down considerably. I wouldn't be able to pull a feed from the tap as it would quickly clog my hop filter.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Return to General Brewing Discussions