Step mashes or single infusion for traditional English ales

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Step mashes or single infusion for traditional English ales

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Now that I have the option to easily step mash, I have been using it for those beer styles that obviously require it e.g. Wheat beers and I have also used the same saccharification rests for a couple of English ales I've brewed where the recommended/traditional method is for single infusion.

I understand the differences that the mash rests can make to the final product and I'm interested what others are doing for English styles? Is there a direct translation into step mash than can be made that would equate to between 66 C to 71 C single infusion temp rests, e.g. 67 C single infusion would translate into 35 mins @ 63 C and 40 mins @ 71 C ?
Last edited by BrauTim on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

RE: Step mashes or single infusion for traditional English a

Unread postby swiggingpig » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:14 pm

I always step mash, for english beers I just change the sacc rest to the required normal single infusion temp

Dough in @ 40C - I find that the malt mixes in easier and doesn't seem to form dough balls
Protien rest @ 52C for 10 mins - Coz I can :)
Sacc rest @ 68C for 45 mins - This is the single infusion mash temp that your recipe calls for
High Sacc rest @ 72C for 30 mins - Just to make sure I get all the goodness out
Mash out @ 78C for 10 mins - I find it helps the wort to clear and drain easily from the malt tube.

:beer:
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:51 pm

i certainly respect the "coz i can" attitude! (it's like, why drive the speed limit if you have a maserati) but when i'm using my lovely thomas fawcett malts, i don't find any advantage to multiple step mashing.... doughing in is much easier at a low temp, so i dough in at a protein rest temp, 50-52, hold it there for a few minutes, ramp up to a single sacc temp, and mashout. not saying that's the best way, just that's what i do and i am very happy with the consistent results. so a standard schedule for me, for a 5% abv ale using TF golden promise or maris otter with fuller's yeast (house fav) is 52 for 10 minutes, 68 for an hour, 76-78 10 minutes.
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:57 am

Almost agree with DS' mash schedule, with the exception of protein rest.

English malts are very well modified, so a protein rest would do more harm than good.

Quoting Palmer here: "In fact, using a protein rest on fully modified malts tends to remove most of the body of a beer, leaving it thin and watery."

I would mash English-style beers as follows:

- 40C for 20-30 for malt liquefaction (Another Palmer quote: "The time at 40°C improves the liquefaction of the mash and promotes enzyme activity.")
- 66C - 68C for an hour
- 77C - 10-15 mash-out

Return to General Brewing Discussions