Microwave your crushed malt!

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Microwave your crushed malt!

Unread postby malzrohr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Ok. Got a nice experiment here...
Quite a number of posts on Braumeisters are about how to produce higher gravity beers using the BM.
Methods proposed and tried so far are:
  • double mashing
  • increased boil times
  • use more malt (aka pack the pipe)
I found a couple of articles on the internet and propose another method to try out: microwave your crushed malt for a few minutes on 80/90W prior to mashing.
Based on the attached articles, the general idea is that ultrasound or low power microwave pretreatment of your malt destroyes the crystalline structure of the starch granules/particles, resulting in an increase in the surface area to volume ratio, which in turn increased the available enzymatic reaction sites. At mashing this occurs at liquefaction/gelatinization temperatures.

Conclusions from the are articles are:
  • increase of sugar yield (i.e. increase of fermentability)
  • threefold increase of enzymatic reaction rate kinetics (shorter mashing times)
  • no denaturation of enzymes observed
I imagine consequences of applying this technique are:
  1. amylose and amylopectine becomes available for enzymes which are normally destroyed at gelatinization temperatures.
  2. New mashing schemes (less/more malt, hochultrakurz)
So my plan is to partition the crushed malt in batches that fit into the microwave oven and microwave @90W for 3-4 minutes with mixing the crush every minute or so.
Like I said, I expect existing mashing schedules need try-and-test adaptation in both time and temperature.

Cheers,
Hans

Ultrasonic Enhanced Liquefaction and Saccharification of Corn for.pdf
Ultrasonic Enhanced Liquefaction and Saccharification of Corn for Bio-Fuel Production
(778.98 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

Improvement of Bioethanol Production from Corn by.pdf
Improvement of Bioethanol Production from Corn by Ultrasound and Microwave Pretreatments
(335.53 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by malzrohr on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Re: Microwave your crushed malt!

Unread postby niels » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 am

malzrohr wrote:So my plan is to partition the crushed malt in batches that fit into the microwave oven and microwave @90W for 3-4 minutes with mixing the crush every minute or so.

That sounds time consuming, but I look forward to a report. Why not some pictures of the process ;)

And if you forget to crush the malt you end up with a popbarley beer. Doesn't that sound tasty?

Anyways... Interesting theory and fun experiment, but I will leave it to others.

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:51 pm

Looks interesting, but raises the question as to why the malting companies aren't doing this prior to sale.

Please keep us posted as to your findings.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:39 am

Cervantes wrote:Looks interesting, but raises the question as to why the malting companies aren't doing this prior to sale.

I can't imagine maltings houses would have any interest in running 1000's tons of malt through [even] industrial sized microwaves !!
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby malzrohr » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:05 pm

These publications are relatively new and haven't found a practical implementation in brewing yet.
With their huge investments in their capital I can't image either maltsters or industrial brewers have interest in this.
But, we are not industrial brewers or maltsters.
We have an excellent machine that allows us to do almost all mashing schemes we like.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:51 am

BrauTim wrote:
Cervantes wrote:Looks interesting, but raises the question as to why the malting companies aren't doing this prior to sale.

I can't imagine maltings houses would have any interest in running 1000's tons of malt through [even] industrial sized microwaves !!

Good point............
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby NewLine » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:42 pm

Worth a try, but microwaving at 90w is a challenge.
NewLine

Return to General Brewing Discussions