Two ingredient questions

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Two ingredient questions

Unread postby David » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:37 am

Hi,

1. For an IPA recipe I was looking for a small quantity of flaked wheat. Is torrified wheat a reasonable replacement?

2. I am planning to use Wyeast liquid yeast for the wort (a split batch - 2 x <25 litres or so - a different yeast in each batch). The yeast appear scaled for 22 litres per pack.

Do I run with one packet for each 25 litre batch (underpitch) or use 2 packs per batch (overpitch). Or do I scale the yeast more precisely to the batch and essentially waste yeast....?

Brewing has rendered me indecisive!

Thanks

David

David
@davidreynoldsuk
David

Model: 50 litres

Re: Two ingredient questions

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Torrified wheat works for head retention but I've read that lots of people don't like the flavour it imparts, I have used ordinary malted wheat in some of my English styles for head retention, never used torrified.

A single vial of liquid yeast is not pitching at the correct pitch rate in a 23 litre batch despite what the manufacturer states. Take an example: for a 23l batch of Ale at OG 1.045, you will need 192Bn cells (according to Mr Malty calculator) to get a correct pitching rate. Each vial contains a maximum 100Bn cells out of the factory, white labs states this lasts for 4 months if stored correctly, viability reduces with time, so even with a fresh batch you will need 2 vials per 23l or grow a single vial using a starter on a stirplate.

You will read anecdotal reports that people have been pitching a single vial for years with no problems, believe those reports if you like, but for me the effort of a brewday deserves the extra effort required to get everything as right as you can make it, to get the expected outcome for your beer.

If you want quality beer then use a starter (or buy more vials).
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: Two ingredient questions

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:41 am

for really small additions of a few percent, in a strongly flavored beer like an IPA where the hops dominate, i don't think the choice of wheat will make a huge difference. i use torrified or flaked kind of interchangeably in IPA recipes, maybe there's some slight difference but it's not something you'll worry about.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions