Move malt pipe up and down?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Move malt pipe up and down?

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:17 pm

The Speidel recipe for oak flavored beer reads:
"Sparging: about 2 litres
Move malt pipe several times up + down at 78 °C"

When and why is this? During of just after mash out and before resting the malt pipe on the "stirrup"?
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Re: Move malt pipe up and down?

Unread postby niels » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:07 pm

I checked the German version of the recipe and it says the same (I thought it might be a bad translation).

I don't see the benefit of it, but maybe they do it instead of stirring the grain?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Erick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Maybe to wash the sugar out of the grain a bit?
In this recipe they only sparge with 2 liters...
Erick

Unread postby niels » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Erick wrote:Maybe to wash the sugar out of the grain a bit?
In this recipe they only sparge with 2 liters...

But the pump should be running at that temperature and would provide this function, no?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Exchanging some emails with Irina a couple of months ago, she said:
One more hint for the better yield:

Before sparging – take the malt pipe out of the Braumeister and dip it carefully several times into the wort.

Just like tea bag.

...but haven't done it yet.
Victor Coelho

Unread postby leosardinha » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:59 pm

I will try this sunday.
Baleia Brewing Co.
leosardinha

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby malzrohr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:18 pm

I have asked Ralf from Speidel. He said that it is for getting a higher gravity. The mash would be better washed out after the sparging.
Considering this, would this be a good practice at pump break every now and then, i.s.o. stirring the mash? I find removing the plate and mesh quite cumbersome.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:04 pm

Since I read the speidel bock recipe I started to move the malt pipe up&down. Quite usefull during No-Sparge Mash to solve wort fountains. I've donne it during the mash (pump break is a little bit short, prefer to do a manual pause). During the procedure some grain comes out the malt pipe. I think the word "carefully" mentioned by Irina is important! Mash eff 80% (beersmith).Personally, I prefer to stir the mash now and then, mainly to solve wort fountains If they appear. Control of the grain is better, mash eff a little bit higher (85%). But, as some fellows from the forum say, Keep it simple (some don't do nothing at all).

Nowadays I'm doing... I do I call it... Near-No-Sparge-Mash :lol: Start with 28L (we can open the malt pipe and stir the grain), "sparge" with 2L. Asked Ralph, similar procedure (start 23L, add water during the mash, rinse the grain 2L at mash out). At the end of the Mash, carefull "Tea bag" movement or rinse the grain and stir it (I prefer this one). Agree with Niels.
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby leosardinha » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:25 pm

I think my pulley will work as a charm for this move haha
Baleia Brewing Co.
leosardinha

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:51 pm

I have a method which appears to work well for extracting the last bit from the mash.

I start off by only using 24 litres in the BM and saving the remaining water for a sparge.
What I do is after mash out I lift the pipe and let it drain for a minute or two then I lift it from the BM and place it in a cheap s/steel pot that I got from a camping shop.
I take the top screen off and stir the top couple of inches only of the grain bed.
I then tip the preheated 77 deg water onto the top of the malt pipe.
Because I have left in place the red rubber seal on the bottom of the malt pipe, the water slowly drains through the mash and fills up around the out side of the malt pipe while being contained in the S/Steel pot.
When it has almost drained through I lift the malt pipe onto the U shaped bracket which is now on top of the pot and I let the rest drain through.
When nearly done I give the top plate a gentle push down to squeeze the last bit of goodness from the mash and then tip the lot back into the BM.
This is all happening when it is coming to the boil so it really doesn't take that long at all.

I have found that I do get a slight increase in mash efficiency but more accurately is the pre boil size using this method as it equals my software figure every time I brew which gives me absolute repeatability for the same recipe.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is as I am doing all this while the wort is coming to the boil.

I have probably dragged this a bit OT but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby RobW » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:37 pm

I've been doing pretty much the same as Dicko except I leave the top malt pipe plate in place.
My reason for doing this is so the sparge liquor runs evenly through the holes in the plate.
I believe this should reduce channelling (but I haven't done a controlled experiment so it's just theoretical :roll: )

Cheers

Rob
RobW

Unread postby Victor Coelho » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:16 am

leosardinha wrote:I think my pulley will work as a charm for this move haha

I really wanted to see that! Hehehe
Victor Coelho

Unread postby leosardinha » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:54 pm