The Tasty Method for fermenting Lager

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: The Tasty Method for fermenting Lager

Unread postby hughjampton » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:21 am

Nesto wrote:I've done a couple lagers. Here's what I do. Pitch at 7C. Allow to rise so that you ferment at 10C until gravity is 3 to 5 points above expected terminal gravity. Then raise to 18-20C for 2 day diacetyl rest. Make sure I've reached terminal gravity then cold crash (slowly - see advice from Yeast book) under a bed of CO2 to below 4C. Has worked great for me so far. Check the fermentation chapter of the Yeast book - they give a couple other protocols for lagers.

That's exactly how I do it.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 pm

I gave this a method a go and got to the transfer to secondary fermentation 0.5C step and my fermentation freezer died.
Its been sitting at 14-15C for the past 5 days and I only noticed yesterday.
My other fermentation fridge has an ale in it for another week.

Well this have much impact on the lager?
I can't really do much until the fridge becomes available.

Would appreciate thoughts.
Andy_Chil

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:13 pm

Andy_Chil wrote:I gave this a method a go and got to the transfer to secondary fermentation 0.5C step and my fermentation freezer died.
Its been sitting at 14-15C for the past 5 days and I only noticed yesterday.
My other fermentation fridge has an ale in it for another week.

Well this have much impact on the lager?
I can't really do much until the fridge becomes available.

Would appreciate thoughts.

As long as you had a good healthy primary ferment and have taken care to keep oxygen away from the finished beer, a little extra time at 15C shouldn't hurt. You can think of it as an extended diacetyl rest. ;) And if there is some yeast left in the beer it can continue to clean up any off flavors.

Unread postby Andy_Chil » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks Nesto. Should I lager in the secondary fermenter still or transfer to the serving keg?
Andy_Chil

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:32 am

Andy_Chil wrote:Thanks Nesto. Should I lager in the secondary fermenter still or transfer to the serving keg?

I don't know that it matters too much, but I might transfer to your serving keg. I don't use secondary fermentation too often, but when I do I often use kegs. I like being able to purge the air away from my finished (or nearly finished) beer. And my beer fridge can only fit one of my fermenters, but can fit two of my corny kegs if I'm lagering.

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:20 pm

Jeff K wrote:If it helps any, I just tend to hold pilsners at 10c for 3 weeks or so, raise for the D-Rest for a couple of days then move to corny and drop to 2c under CO2 for 2 months and it's crispy clear and tasty.

I'm fermenting my first lager using this approach due to being away at work for four weeks, so it will ferment at 10c until I get back to raise the temp for the D-Rest for a couple of days before dropping to 2c.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Cervantes wrote:
Jeff K wrote:If it helps any, I just tend to hold pilsners at 10c for 3 weeks or so, raise for the D-Rest for a couple of days then move to corny and drop to 2c under CO2 for 2 months and it's crispy clear and tasty.

I'm fermenting my first lager using this approach due to being away at work for four weeks, so it will ferment at 10c until I get back to raise the temp for the D-Rest for a couple of days before dropping to 2c.

I haven't read any experiments on waiting this long before the diacetyl rest. Hopefully there would still be enough viable yeast to clean up?

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi Nesto

Did my first lager late laste year. Was in fermenter for 7 weeks @ 10C (due to leave and final gravity not reached by time I went) with no temperature ramp up. Lager turned out good. Was a bit concerned about off flavors from long exposure to yeast but nothing noticeable. Just kegged the second one this week after 4 weeks in fermenter, including 2 days at 15C, before 3 days cold crashing.Taste at kegging was quite good (Münich Helles). No trace of diacetyl.

Going to leave the keg for about 2 weeks (not under CO2 pressure) for lagering cleanup. Might clarify at the end of the two weeks although looked quite clear already now. Will only force carbonate after purging / clarifying. Have bottled separately as well with carbonation drops. I find the bottled versions clarify much better than the keg (better settled sediment that is easy to keep out with pour).
Fritzkellerbrau

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Fritzkellerbrau wrote:Hi Nesto

Did my first lager late laste year. Was in fermenter for 7 weeks @ 10C (due to leave and final gravity not reached by time I went) with no temperature ramp up. Lager turned out good. Was a bit concerned about off flavors from long exposure to yeast but nothing noticeable. Just kegged the second one this week after 4 weeks in fermenter, including 2 days at 15C, before 3 days cold crashing.Taste at kegging was quite good (Münich Helles). No trace of diacetyl.

Going to leave the keg for about 2 weeks (not under CO2 pressure) for lagering cleanup. Might clarify at the end of the two weeks although looked quite clear already now. Will only force carbonate after purging / clarifying. Have bottled separately as well with carbonation drops. I find the bottled versions clarify much better than the keg (better settled sediment that is easy to keep out with pour).

That makes sense... I suppose it should work fine, just slower than a raised temp diacetyl rest.

Previous

Return to General Brewing Discussions