Force Carb trial. Expected outcome, but why?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Force Carb trial. Expected outcome, but why?

Unread postby royco » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:43 pm

I kegged two corneys with lager; one full and the other 3/4 full. They were chilled to 0°C and carbed to 2.7 vols. The 3/4 full one was shaken twice a day to 7,2 Richter and the other was left to carb slowly.
After 5 days the "test" batch was acceptable and now after 3 weeks it is pretty good. First tasting at week3 of the slow-carbed one is even better (OK, that was expected).
But why? they have both stabilised to the same carb level. Could the initial beer-abuse have affected the taste?
Will another month at 0° improve it noticeably? This is my first lager and I am very pleased with it.

Royco
royco

Model: 50 litres

Re: Force Carb trial. Expected outcome, but why?

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Not sure. Do you purge the head space in the 2nd one a few times? Seems it is near impossible to get all the 'air' out of the kegs. Despite settling of the CO2, it is always mixed with air as it's being injected and you wind up with a higher concentration of 02 in the CO2. One thing I do when purging is to have two regulators on my CO2 tank. One fitted with the standard IN connector and the other fitted with an OUT connector.. That way, when I purge before filling my keg, I purge from the bottom up rather than the top down.. that equals far less mixing. During that time, I have the lid off the keg so it free flows the lighter gas, O2, out as it's filling with CO2.

The mixing of a higher level of O2 rich CO2 may have caused some oxidation??? Just a thought.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Good idea Bill, gonna try next batch
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:10 am

HbgBill wrote:Not sure. Do you purge the head space in the 2nd one a few times? Seems it is near impossible to get all the 'air' out of the kegs. Despite settling of the CO2, it is always mixed with air as it's being injected and you wind up with a higher concentration of 02 in the CO2. One thing I do when purging is to have two regulators on my CO2 tank. One fitted with the standard IN connector and the other fitted with an OUT connector.. That way, when I purge before filling my keg, I purge from the bottom up rather than the top down.. that equals far less mixing. During that time, I have the lid off the keg so it free flows the lighter gas, O2, out as it's filling with CO2.

The mixing of a higher level of O2 rich CO2 may have caused some oxidation??? Just a thought.

Great idea! I have multiple gas fitting on a tee on my regulator. I'll switch one with a beer out to try this!

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby royco » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 am

Very good info Bill. Will add a beer connector to a spare CO2 line and try this.
I do fill the keg with CO2 before adding the beer but always worry about the mixing of O2 and CO2. Then I purge the filled keg about 5 times before setting final pressure.
Doing it your way you may even get some benefit of CO2 absorbtion as you fill the CO2.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions