late hop additions

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

late hop additions

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:57 pm

I have been sort of stumbling my way through the late parts of my process.
I use an immersion chiller that I put into my BM 15 min. before the end of my boil.
I also try to have a hop and whirlfloc addition at this time so that nothing gets missed.
The IC obviously negates any whirlpooling at this time. I am thinking maybe I could pull it out at the end,
set it aside, do my zero minute additions, whirlpool and let sit for 20 min. or so then put the IC back in to start chilling.
Does this make any sense?
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Model: 20 litres

RE: late hop additions

Unread postby Beerkench » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:03 pm

I have my IC in a bucket of Star San so only put it in right at the end of the boil after I have whirlpooled.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks Beerkench, that will simplify things a lot. Especially all of the things bouncing around in my thick skull!
Do you boil it at all or just starsan it?
Lylo

Unread postby Beerkench » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:36 pm

I usually sterilse the FV I'm gonna use for my brew with 10-15L or so of Star San solution and then pour all that into another clean FV for all the rest of the material that needs to be sterilised like my IC, airlock, rubber seal, mixing stick etc. My IC is still wet with Star San when I put it into the wort.
20L BM user in Sweden.
Beerkench

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:56 pm

I do it basically the same as Beerkench's method.
After chilling I let the wort settle for a while in the kettle and I have found I dont really need to whirlpool, I just let the trub and hops settle into the bottom of the BM.
I always clean my IC thoroughly immediately after each use so it is ready to go next time.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:57 pm

HAHA we seem to be overlapping a couple of topics!
I really don't want to forgo the pump as it helps bring my chill time down to around 15 min.
I think what I will try is to soak the IC in starsan, pitch my late hops, and let sit for about 15 min before starting the chill. I really don't find any problems carrying over some trub, it settles out in the fermentor just fine.
As long as I can RLWHAHB about the IC getting boil time I think I will be fine with the late hop additions.
Thanks
Lylo

Return to General Brewing Discussions