Slight hiccup on brewday

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Slight hiccup on brewday

Unread postby Crusty » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:42 am

Hi all.
Just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar issue with the BM going into lock mode during the boil.
This happened to me today in the last 4mins of the boil. Time was counting down from 90mins & @4mins, the timer stopped flashing & my set boil temp went from 102 to 101. The timer failed to count down yet the boil temp hovered between 98-100deg as normal. I manually timed if from there but not sure what caused this problem. After completing the brew today, I re-programmed the BM & let her run through another full step function & set the boil @102 for 15mins with no issues at all. I emptied the machine, filled it again & ran another full step function with different temps/times & again no issues. It's never happened before & I'm putting it down to a one off & assume it won't happen again. Anyone had this happen?

I changed my brew day today to a single infusion mash @66deg for 90mins following a 50deg mash in & a 52deg protein rest for 5mins. Mashed out @78deg as usual & sparged with 11.9lt of water. My calculations were a tad off as efficiency was set to 70% ( 40l@1.048 ) & I ended up at a whisker over 80%. (46l@1.046 ) I mashed in with 55lt of water which was probably a tad too much. What strike water are you guys generally using (52lt ? ) or do you just let the brewing software take care of the numbers? I'm using BeerSmith 2.
Cheers.
Crusty

Model: 50 litres

Re: Slight hiccup on brewday

Unread postby Crusty » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:13 am

Ok, I think we've worked out what's happened.
I spoke to Chris from Grain & Grape where I purchased my 50lt machine from & he immediately asked if I used an immersion chiller.
I did use an immersion chiller & Chris has suggested that what's happened is the machine at some point during the last 15mins of the boil sensed the temp dropping below 98deg causing the timer to halt & not continue until it reached the boiling set temp. It would re-start timing once @98-99deg where my temp seems to sit ( 98-100 )
This makes perfect sense & after doing another two wet runs after this issue it never happened so it looks as though this might have been the cause of the timer stopping.
I assumed once the timer was initiated, it would continue operating but this might not be the case.
I hope this helps someone else out there that strikes this problem.
Cheers.
Crusty

Unread postby piet_v » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:38 am

I had this issue before; I now place my immersion cooler (vertically) on top of the BM during boiling so the metal heats up.
(or you could put it in a bucket of hot water for a while, whatever suits best).
piet_v

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby malzrohr » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:04 am

I had this at my last brewing day. After mash out I removed the malzrohr :wink: and sparged the spent grains in a separate container. I took it easy on the sparging and added the resulting volume by the time the BM was boiling. The temp dropped below 98C and the countdown halted until boiling temp had been reached.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby Crusty » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:38 am

Cheers guys.
I'm glad to know the machine is doing what it's supposed to do.
I was a little worried there for a while.
Crusty

Unread postby niels » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:04 pm

I did have a similar experience with hop pellets trub that clogged the temperature probe. The temperature "dropped" below 98°C and the boiling timer stopped. Since we were not watching the timer at that point we only discovered it about 10~15 minutes later. Since then I use a backup kitchen timer for the boil/hop additions.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Yes this is by design, it happens to me every brewday as I use an immersion chiller, extends the boil time by about 5-10mins.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Dompan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:38 am

Hi,

I had my first brew with my brand new 2015 BM 20L last week. All went well until I submerged the immersion chiller. Then the temperature dropped to 98C and the timer stopped. Now I understand that this is how the BM is designed to work. Anyway, I started fiddling with the settings and lowered the set temp to 100C (initial setting was 102C).. but from what I could see the timer did not start once 100C was reached despite the new setting. But I was in panic by then so maybe I did not wait two minutes for the controller to get the timer going again.

Next time I will be more patient.. :)

Do you guy's set the boil temp to 100C? 101C? 102C? The default is 100C but I've heard that it is common pratice to set the temp to 102C to make sure that the heaters is fully on all the time. This to get a good rolling boil. My thinking is that if you set the boiling temp to 100C instead of 102C you will decrease the time for the timer to get going again once you put down the chiller into the wort (assuming, of course, that you have a decent boil at the programmed 100C)
Dompan

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 pm

I set for 102C. And sanitize my immersion chiller using StarSan - don't put it in until boil is done.

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:24 am

Nesto wrote:..... don't put it in until boil is done.

Bang on. Get some extra chilling effect too.
mashy

Unread postby 3LB » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:51 am

Dompan wrote:[...]
Do you guy's set the boil temp to 100C? 101C? 102C? The default is 100C but I've heard that it is common pratice to set the temp to 102C to make sure that the heaters is fully on all the time. This to get a good rolling boil. My thinking is that if you set the boiling temp to 100C instead of 102C you will decrease the time for the timer to get going again once you put down the chiller into the wort (assuming, of course, that you have a decent boil at the programmed 100C)

I have the thermo jacket and copper hood, setting the controller to 100°C is sufficient to get a good boil. I've tried higher but then the evaporation loss was too high (or I should reset the values in my - Dutch - brewing software 'BrouwHulp').

For the last 5 minutes I take off the hood and put the immersion chiller in. Haven't noticed any drop in temperature to below the threshold for the timer to stop - next brew I'll keep an eye out for this.

Cheers,
John
3LB

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:29 am

Nesto wrote:I set for 102C. And sanitize my immersion chiller using StarSan - don't put it in until boil is done.

I am not convinced the StarSan is completely necessary. there is not much that survives 100c
mashy

Unread postby BreadMurderer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:58 am

mashy wrote:
Nesto wrote:I set for 102C. And sanitize my immersion chiller using StarSan - don't put it in until boil is done.

I am not convinced the StarSan is completely necessary. there is not much that survives 100c

I agree. I'm sure there is no real harm in doing that at all but anything above around 82C is effectively sanitised, i.e. deed. :)
Drinking: Whatever craft beer I can find!
Conditioning: Nowt
Fermenting: Nowt
Planning: To buy a pimpin' setup on my return
BreadMurderer

Unread postby Elderberry » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:22 pm

I pour boiling water over my chiller just before putting it in the brew, about 15 minutes before the end of boil. No problems at all.
Elderberry

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:02 pm

mashy wrote:

Yeah, probably overkill, but I have a bucket of StarSan (from sanitizing my fermenter) sitting around anyway

Return to General Brewing Discussions