Is this a viable idea?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Is this a viable idea?

Unread postby Lylo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:37 pm

I woke up last night with what I thought may be an aha moment :beerbang: but probably will work out like most of my aha moments. :rolleyes:

1: Set aside 6L of water as usual for sparge.
2:Halfway through sacch rest, draw off 6L of wort and replace it with the 6L of water
3:After mash out, lift pipe and pour the 6l of wort back in and start the ramp to boil.

I am thinking that this may improve my efficiency better than sparging.
Unless there are some serious consequences that I am overlooking I think I will give this a try this weekend.
BTW I am using a BM 20L
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Model: 20 litres

RE: Is this a viable idea?

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Let us know how it goes Lylo.

I did similar by getting to mash out and doing the same thing.
My thoughts on what I did and the result was that it was not worth the trouble as I didn't notice any gain in efficiency.

Cheers
Last edited by Dicko on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:39 am

I believe that the wort withdrawn half-way through the sacch rest will still contain some residual unconverted starches.

It is different than taking 6L of sparge water and pouring it on top of the raised malt pipe after the mash-out.

The latter case should just wash out the converted sugars stuck in the grain bed.

I think adding half-converted wort to the boil may in fact LOWER the efficiency, since the sugars are not fully extracted and the conversion enzymes had already been destroyed by the heat.

I would further hypothesize that the unconverted starches will also contribute to haziness in the beer.

Just some random thoughts :P
Last edited by cpa4ny on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:03 pm

I am going on the many stories I have heard of conversion happening in 1/2 hr or less with well modified grains. I plan to do a 90 min. 65C rest and will do an iodine test.
Lylo

Unread postby niels » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:49 pm

Also... If you use wort to sparge it already contains sugars, so you will be extracting less sugars from the malt in the pipe. Water can "take up" more sugars as it doesn't contain dissolved sugars yet.

Or am I wrong?

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:50 pm

I am not planning any sparge. I will pour the 6l of wort that I drained off back into the kettle as I start to ramp to boil.
Lylo

Unread postby Twonky » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:28 pm

But if you at least do a small sparge you can replace the wort in the malt pipe with water, thus increasing your yield...
The first time I did not do a sparge, the wort draining from the malt pipe had an OG of 1040....

Cheers
:cheers:
Twonky

Model: 50 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions