Janux: Chemistry of Beer

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Janux: Chemistry of Beer

Unread postby malzrohr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:57 am

For those of us that want to give their hobby an academic twist can take the open and free course "Chemistry of Beer" at Janux, an initiative from the University of Oklahoma starting 10 October and takes about 8 weeks.

Code: Select all
Course description:
-------------------
This course covers the process of brewing from grain to final bottle product and the chemical and biochemical process involved in each step. Students will be required to utilize previous knowledge in General and Organic chemistry to understand: analytical techniques in brewing, chemistry of the ingredients and products, and the molecules involved in the biochemical processes. During the course, students will also learn the similarities and differences between beer styles, home and commercial brewing processes, and analytical techniques. There is a great deal of Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry involved in the malting, mashing and fermentation process and understanding the chemistry behind the flavor, aroma, and color of beer. Students should have a basic knowledge of general and organic chemistry.

I took the course myself last year but dropped out a few units before the final exam. Personally, I found the course units of varying quality ranging from no brainer for those who read a book/blog or two on brewing to a level requiring at least some high school/college class chemistry knowledge. For those of us searching the detailed chemical knowledge on the chemistry and physics of chemical path ways may be dissapointed. I got my MSc. in chemistry 20 years ago - never did anything in chemistry since - and found the "chemistry" as in "Chemistry of Beer" lacking the depth I was looking for.

Perhaps I will give it another go this year.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Model: 20 litres

Re: Janux: Chemistry of Beer

Unread postby Nesto » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:09 am

Might be interesting. I might give it a try - cheaper than Seibel or Davis ;)

Unread postby rocketman » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:44 am

Great course, took the whole course and it was hard really hard but hey a IT guy taking a biochemistry course. Be prepared to study a lot [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
rocketman

Unread postby malzrohr » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:56 am

:cheers: and well done!
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

Unread postby bruulog » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:30 pm

malzrohr, thank you for the info. I signed up

My last chemistry class was about 25 years ago. I never used chemistry after that so everything I learned is long gone - fragmented, deleted, overwritten buy trivial crap from TV and other useless media channels. :cheers:

But this is not going to stop me taking the class. :beerbang:
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:47 am

I went ahead and signed up too. See you in class!

Unread postby ibbones » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:36 pm

I'm in also. Been a while since I had a chemistry class. We'll see what happens.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby niels » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:56 pm

I signed up too. I only had two years of basic chemistry about 18 years ago, so it might be a challenge.

The hour difference doesn't help either. No idea what to expect if you can't watch the classes live.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:32 am

I'd love to do this.. but, admittedly, I'm having troubles just working with water spreadsheets to figure salt additions.

Tried EZ Water.. would love to be able to understand Bru'n Water.. but...... Some parts of life have passed my by.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby bruulog » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:47 am

niels wrote:I signed up too. I only had two years of basic chemistry about 18 years ago, so it might be a challenge.

The hour difference doesn't help either. No idea what to expect if you can't watch the classes live.

- Niels

I am at the other side of the world and we have a 9 h difference. I understood that lectures are recorded and you can use the video library.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Yes, like last year the videos are placed online. You can watch them at your own pace and read/study the collaterals referenced. The first unit should be introductory.
You'll need to take the unit test before due date. There is a practice test you can take to make sure you understand the matter. The practice test usually reflects the problems provided in the unit test.
malzrohr

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Ok. I am also participating. My profile name is hbroeder
malzrohr

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:56 pm

I found Niels thanks to his avatar :)

If anyone is looking for me, I am Ernest Costello - same avatar as I have here.

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:09 am

And the professor setup a group for HomeBrewTalk already. I suppose if there get to be enough of us we could setup one too.

You can join a group by going the the group tab at the top menu (two people at the top), selecting group, and then clicking "Join Group" at the bottom left. Then just enter the code and you are in the group. ...
I will also start to list the student created groups. Just send me the name of the group and code or list the code and name below in the comments below. Example - Caribbean Brewers - abc123DE45

Some of the student generated Groups:

HomeBrewTalk - s5yrUMqbKYa
Redditors - gZfSxFHSM1w

Unread postby rocketman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:15 am

I have extensive notes from the course, if anyone is interested?
rocketman

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions