EPS (foam) box to store frozen yeast

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

EPS (foam) box to store frozen yeast

Unread postby niels » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:29 am

I want to start creating a yeast bank after reading threads like these. Most of the materials are very easy to come by, but one thing seems to be hard to get my hands on: a EPS (foam) box.

I've contacted different manufacturers, but none can give me an address of a retailer. The only foam boxes I can find in a store are way too big (like 40l) or not tall enough. The only shop online that doesn't sell them by the hundreds charges 24 EUR shipping costs for a 4 EUR box...

AAAAARRRRGGHHHHH!!!! :x

Any tips where to get a box like this? It should be able to hold 10cm culture tubes upright (so an inner height of 12cm would be ideal).

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Re: EPS (foam) box to store frozen yeast

Unread postby rocketman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Build one!, get a block of styrofoam and cut out the the shapes with heated nichrome-wire.
That was what I was planning to do, also check if your local aquarium-store has them, when
I was in the hobby many years ago I always transported my bags-of-fish in a EPSy Box.
rocketman

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:28 pm

rocketman wrote:Build one!, get a block of styrofoam and cut out the the shapes with heated nichrome-wire.

That was the alternative. But since I'm always short on time at the moment I wanted to go for a purchased one.

I do have a Styrofoam cutting table (small one) from the time I built RC planes.

I will go the DIY route, but it still means a trip to the store to get some EPS slabs.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:35 pm

can you post a photo of what you are looking for?
dinnerstick

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Niels,
I made my own with a plastic "Tuppaware" type box similar size to a lunch box and cut some polystyrene foam and glued it into the box so that it lined it from the inside.

Store it in the bottom or back of the freezer away from the door and it works fine.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 am

i ask what sort of box you want because i always have an excess of styrofoam shipping boxes at work, we throw away the extras. here's an example, the walls are thick and the inner height is ~14cm, so you could trim it down in any dimension. if interested i can slap an address on it and just post it. or maybe fill with helium first...

WP_20140930_001.jpg
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:10 am

dinnerstick wrote:i ask what sort of box you want because i always have an excess of styrofoam shipping boxes at work, we throw away the extras. here's an example, the walls are thick and the inner height is ~14cm, so you could trim it down in any dimension. if interested i can slap an address on it and just post it. or maybe fill with helium first...

That's exactly what I'm looking for... Maybe we can arrange a deal? ;)

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:00 am

PM me an address and i'll send it. all i ask in return is that you set up an maintain some sort of BM-dedicated forum
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:14 am

i've got a few sizes,
inner measurements 20x16, and 31 cm high, you could cut that to any height. outer is about 23x28
the one in the picture, inner = just under 18x18, and 15 cm high. outer is 26x26 and 24 high.
take your pick
dinnerstick

Unread postby niels » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:19 am

dinnerstick wrote:i've got a few sizes,
inner measurements 20x16, and 31 cm high, you could cut that to any height. outer is about 23x28
the one in the picture, inner = just under 18x18, and 15 cm high. outer is 26x26 and 24 high.
take your pick

The 18x18x15 one is perfect! No cutting required and it will easily hold a multitude of culture tubes.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Return to General Brewing Discussions