BM vs other systems (grainfather)

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: BM vs other systems (grainfather)

Unread postby beerlover1983 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:20 pm

I was lucky enough to review one for them see here.

http://youtu.be/MmkRuLdLH5U

I have to say it appeals to me not having to get extra malt pipe etc as in would mainly brew 10ltrs.
But theres parts that cheapen the deal and its been made on a budget.

Its still better than i thoaght it would be but some bits need improving.That wouldnt incur much if any extra costs.The qd on the malt return pipe unfinished edges etc.

After i did the video they said that most of the issues should be fixed i raised in the uk shipment but couldnt say which.

They still claim you need their cleaner over anything else like sodium percarbonate which annoys me a bit.

If it had step mashing (which they have hinted at working on)

Then it could be a winner.My eyes are fixed on a bm at present
beerlover1983

Unread postby hughjampton » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:47 am

I would certainly have looked very seriously at the grainfather had they been available when I bought my BM. Both have their limitations but the BM has the quality and I suspect the support from Spiedel is better. However I could have bought three grainfathers for what I've spent on my BM.

The big question is, will the grainfather make inferior beer because it's cheaper? ....... no of course it won't.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby HLA91 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:29 am

I'm interested to see what spiedel do now they have competition.
HLA91

Unread postby Batz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:09 am

The Grainfather is proving to have very good after sales service, this means a lot in Australia. I was a little disappointed with what I have received from Speidel at one time, but this I'm sure is because I live on the other side of the world and freight is expensive.
I sure would not trade my Braumeister for the Grainfather, there is no comparison in the quality or the features. If I where buying now? Things maybe different.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby HLA91 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:26 am

Batz wrote:I sure would not trade my Braumeister for the Grainfather, there is no comparison in the quality or the features. If I where buying now? Things maybe different.

Batz

Thats my view as well. I may sound like I'm moaning but at the time I bought my BM there was no competition and its a wonderful system (when it works, pesky seal) but Spiedel have either got to cut the cost of the BM & Accessories or something otherwise I can see their sales dropping. Ok the BM has quality on its side but with money being as tight as it is in todays climate is the cost that has the final say when buying.
HLA91

Unread postby stevodevo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:24 am

I'd say Speidel may learn a thing or two from the new kid on the block, but I think they're a long way from losing their place at the top of the ladder. I just received my 20L today, and after having a thorough inspection of it, I am extremely happy with my choice - and I had a choice. The BM is a bloody beautiful piece if equipment. There are many comparisons to be made with other items where there is a choice to be made, and there will always be a healthy market for those who appreciate something for it's quality and track record - cars, boats, fishing gear, sewing machines, cookware, knives etc etc etc. There will always be a cheaper alternative that "does the same" as the top of the line gold plated option, but there will always be someone who is willing to pay for the quality. That said, I think the BM still does "more" than the GF, so the comparison is not yet an even one. There's no doubt Speidel will still lose some sales, becuase the GF has a lot to offer for the price), but hey that's competition.

Now... one negative I will put out there is the cost of BM accessories (as was mentioned above). I ordered the 10L malt pipe. In my case it's a necessary extra, but $165 for a stainless steel ring with a few lugs and a rubber gasket would seem to be a bit on the high side considering the high price of the initial investment. I'm not unhappy at all, because as I mentioned above, there are plenty of cookware brands out there that will charge similar for a small stainless saucepan. I'm just sayin' there might be a little bit of room to move in that area if Speidel need to stay competitive with a product that already has the feature out of the box.

So long story short... I just had this very choice, and in my situation I was fortunate to have enough funds to afford a BM, and I'm extremely pleased I did. If I couldn't justify the cost of the BM, I think I'd be just as happy with a GF, just the same way that someone that goes and buys a brand new $20K Kia is if they're usually limited to buying $2000 cheap used cars.

And finally... take everything I said with a grain of salt, because I'm a guy that just dropped nearly 3 grand on a big sexy saucepan, so I'm bound to be a bit biased ;-)
stevodevo

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby niels » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:12 am

Regarding the price differences: you must also keep in mind that the Braumeister is made completely in Germany while the Grainfather is made in China. I have no clue what percentage of the production cost is loan costs, but I'm pretty sure this also makes a bit of a difference.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to test out the Grainfather!

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby tiputus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:09 pm

niels wrote:Regarding the price differences: you must also keep in mind that the Braumeister is made completely in Germany while the Grainfather is made in China. I have no clue what percentage of the production cost is loan costs, but I'm pretty sure this also makes a bit of a difference.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to test out the Grainfather!

- Niels

Well... what's your conclusion? Which one is best value for the money???
tiputus

Unread postby niels » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:40 am

tiputus wrote:Well... what's your conclusion? Which one is best value for the money???

It's not a black/white answer as it really depends on your priorities, budget and needs. The Braumeister is superior because of it's build quality and fully programmable controller, but the Grainfather has a bit more flexibility (gravity-wise) and is much cheaper.

I've people coming into the shop wanting a Braumeister and leaving with a Grainfather, but never the way around. I think the price is a very big attraction for the Grainfather.

With a Braumeister, though, you're buying a proven machine, constructed in Europe and from a company providing excellent customer service. The Grainfather is relatively new, constructed in China and until now the customer service and warranty claim handling still needs to be proven.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby richardm » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:06 pm

niels wrote:
tiputus wrote:Well... what's your conclusion? Which one is best value for the money???

It's not a black/white answer as it really depends on your priorities, budget and needs. The Braumeister is superior because of it's build quality and fully programmable controller, but the Grainfather has a bit more flexibility (gravity-wise) and is much cheaper.

I've people coming into the shop wanting a Braumeister and leaving with a Grainfather, but never the way around. I think the price is a very big attraction for the Grainfather.

With a Braumeister, though, you're buying a proven machine, constructed in Europe and from a company providing excellent customer service. The Grainfather is relatively new, constructed in China and until now the customer service and warranty claim handling still needs to be proven.

- Niels

It wasn't your shop Niels, but I went in to buy a Grainfather but came out with a 20l BM. I haven't regretted the decision.
Richard M
20L BM
Cardiff, Wales
richardm

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:34 pm

I have been to see one today. I will not knock it. But at half the price it 650 GBP it is only half the machine.

The build is a bit tinny (compared to BM)
Its a bit cluncky it how it does the job.
It is noisy - you will not forget its on !
..and of course it has not controller just the STC800.

Now it would be useful if you could fit a BM controller on it.

Would that be a Grain Meister?

I do think if you saw then side by side you would NOT appreciate the difference until brew day.
If you are thinking whiskey - the pot head option for it would swing the deal IMO
mashy

Unread postby RichM » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:42 am

Its the old Germany verses the USA thing again :D

I've just made my first brew with my new BM and went through the same dilemma over the costs and parts etc, i watched a number of comparisons on Youtube and read lots and eventually settled on the more costly BM system, i like the simplicity of the chiller, the BM is compact with no pipes sticking out the top and having stood both side by side at the local HBS the BM looks and feels far better made.

In the end it comes down to personal choice and financial viability, i'd been interested to read a long term comparison of both, say after 200 brews how each is standing up to the wear, both look good out of the box though how they stand the test of time might make the difference.
RichM

Unread postby EZiTasting » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:35 pm

mashy wrote:...
If you are thinking whiskey - the pot head option for it would swing the deal IMO

Sorry for being so daft, but what are you referring to with this comment? I want to eventually get in to Whisky so I'm keen to understand this...
EZiTasting

Unread postby BreadMurderer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:20 pm

EZiTasting wrote:
mashy wrote:...

Sorry for being so daft, but what are you referring to with this comment? I want to eventually get in to Whisky so I'm keen to understand this...

This I would guess:

http://www.grainfather.com/#!online-sto ... p/47641232
Drinking: Whatever craft beer I can find!
Conditioning: Nowt
Fermenting: Nowt
Planning: To buy a pimpin' setup on my return
BreadMurderer

Unread postby mashy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:16 am

Yup that's it.
I wonder if BM have a plan for one!
mashy

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions