BM vs other systems (grainfather)

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

BM vs other systems (grainfather)

Unread postby beerlover1983 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:58 pm

So im 90% set on a braumeister for next year and then come along the grainfather system.

Apart from the ability to programme the step mashing and the build quality compared to the other system what makes the bm better than this new system ?

You seem to have to still sparge with the grainfather do i need to do this with the bm ?

Im conflicted
beerlover1983

Re: BM vs other systems (grainfather)

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:16 pm

You dont have to sparge with the BM although many do, including me, if only to gain a couple more gravity points.

The Grainfather apparently has a by pass system built into the mash process so that it would necessitate a thorough sparge to get the gravity points. I would imagine a "Dough ball" would result in a major gravity loss as it does in a conventional mash tun.
Thorough stirring of the mash should eliminate this problem.

It appears to me that there is a lot of parts required in the Grainfather whereas the BM is very simple.

The BM is set and forget when mashing which allows you to attend other duties around the home, the Grainfather is currently a manual mash operation.

The Grainfather is a fair bit cheaper than the BM but is the cost only reflecting the actual build quality or is it because it has no PID control for temperature accuracy?
From what I have read in reports by Grainfather users is that a temperature overshoot does happen where with the BM the temperature which is preset is the temperature that you will achieve.

If I was confronted with this situation of which one to buy, the yet to be proven Grainfather or the well established BM then at this stage I would choose the BM.

If you are that undecided I would wait until the Grainfather proves to be a good bit of kit before relying on reports offered by future retailers of the system as heaven forbid, they may have a vested interest in selling these units. :lol:

I know when the BM came out into Aus there was a great deal of scepticism as to how they were going to perform in real life but sales have sky rocketed since brewers realised the advantages of the BM system.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:13 am

What Dicko said...........
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Eldoreth » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:56 am

I concurr...
Kristof
Lamontius.net
Eldoreth

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby beerlover1983 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:10 am

cheers dicko that was the sort of reply i was hoping for.
beerlover1983

Unread postby Batz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:10 am

Apart from the ability to programme the step mashing and the build quality compared to the other system what makes the bm better than this new system ?

It's all right there, not a hard discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby bruulog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:18 am

What are your thoughts about BrauEule system?
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby Eldoreth » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:21 am

I have the impression that brumas is more complicated and also more expensive + you need the copper polish product. It looks nice though...
Kristof
Lamontius.net
Eldoreth

Unread postby bierfest » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:59 pm

A friend of mine has the Brumas for a couple of years now and is very happy with it. He says it makes great beers. He also says that it uses quite a lot of water and energy.. I dont know how this compares to the BM which I suspect uses quite a lot too.. I havent actually seen his system working so I cant compare his to mine. As far as I am aware the Brumas only allows you to use hop pellets (correct me if I am wrong). I prefer to use leaves.
bierfest

Unread postby niels » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:46 pm

I will have a Grainfather in a few weeks and so I will be able to compare both systems.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby redwing_al » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:57 pm

I wish I had the opportunity to buy the Grainfather because of the overall cost and similarity to BM. It really looks like a versatile system with a larger grain capacity. I sure hope Neils finds it inferior to the BM, but far as I can tell, it's a well engineered device. Either way, I still love the BM! ..and actually, my only problem with the BM is that I can't consume as much as I can brew fast enough, the gaps between brew days is too long!
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Unread postby HLA91 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:23 pm

Knowing what I know now, I would have to say I would go to the Grainfather over the BM, its a sad fact but I kind of feel slightly cheated. As my girlfriend said to me "Someone will always come along after the fact and learn from other peoples mistakes". The BM is a great machine don't get me wrong, but its also a simple machine, an expensive simply machine with expensive accessories.

For example, I own a 20L BM, I would like to experiment with small matches of beer and also make large batches of beer once I know I like the recipe.
For me to do this if the BM, I have to first go and buy a Short malt pipe for the 20L which will set me back £74, then theres the cooling coil, £40-50£ for an aftermarket one or £100 for Genuine. Then the fact that no hop filter is built in which ok I could use Hop bags but some say its not quite the same as having the hops floating freely, that costs another £60. Then if I want to make a volume that would allow a keg + 15 bottles then the 20L would struggle unless I made a high gravity mash and diluted. So I would have to go for the 50L and then buy the same accessories. All in all the machine and parts would cost in the region of £1400 (for 20L + extras).

The grainfather comes with cooling coil, built in filter, expandable grain basket to do both high and low volume batches and comes with a 30L capacity. It also costs nearly £1000 less.

Just my thoughts

HLA91
HLA91

Unread postby redwing_al » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Given the introduction of the Grainfather and the likelyhood of widescale distribution, I dont give the BM much of a chance. I'm glad that I didn't pay full price... I'd be interested in Neils review... Speidel should be watching with interest here.
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:42 am

I saw the Grainfather in our local LHBS on Friday when I was picking up the grains for my saison.

Cheap built quality - not even close to BM's.

I further understand from the owner that one cannot pre-program the full step mash cycle - need to manually change to move to the next mash step.

Unread postby Batz » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:19 am

cpa4ny wrote:I saw the Grainfather in our local LHBS on Friday when I was picking up the grains for my saison.

Cheap built quality - not even close to BM's.

I further understand from the owner that one cannot pre-program the full step mash cycle - need to manually change to move to the next mash step.

All true, and overnight mashing? Forget it.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Next

Return to General Brewing Discussions