Weighing scales

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Weighing scales

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Currently im using a small kitchen weighing scales for measuring out my grain. Its a complete pain as it cant weigh too much grain and I have to weigh several times just to make up my base malt weight etc. What types of scales are others using and what is the best practical scale solution for homebrewers? I dont mind buying something good once its going to last a long time.
bierfest
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: Ireland
Model: 50 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby HopSong » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:00 am

I'm using a digital kitchen scale that works in both pounds, ounces and grams. It goes up to 11 pounds. I don't use it for weighing my hops. I have a very small pocket digital for that.. more accurate for small batches.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
User avatar
HopSong
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USofA
Model: 20 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:00 am

Don't weigh grain at home (not enough room to store big bags of it!), but this is the scale I use at my LHBS: http://morebeer.com/products/electronic ... ?site_id=7

It seems to stand up really well to very heavy use there and is pretty reasonably priced.
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:53 am

bierfest wrote:Currently im using a small kitchen weighing scales for measuring out my grain. Its a complete pain as it cant weigh too much grain and I have to weigh several times just to make up my base malt weight etc. What types of scales are others using and what is the best practical scale solution for homebrewers? I dont mind buying something good once its going to last a long time.


I currently do the same as you are doing.

I hadn't considered it too much of a problem until you mentioned it.

Now I want to change my scales :?
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
User avatar
Cervantes
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am
Location: Cervantes, Western Australia
Model: 20 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby bruulog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 am

I use this tiny kitchen scale for everything below 5 kilos. For larger quantities, I use so called "bathroom scale".
I got it for free and because we never had a scale in the bathroom, only logical place for it was my beer lab. :cheers:

(Why do people have a scale in their bathroom? Eating disorders? Never mind... )


One day I'll get me a nice "industrial" strength large kitchen scale or something.
A mechanical one is probably cool.

If you are looking for a really accurate mechanical, "Tripple Beam" is the the keyword.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:06 pm
Model: 50 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby bruulog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:33 am

Nesto wrote:Don't weigh grain at home (not enough room to store big bags of it!), but this is the scale I use at my LHBS: http://morebeer.com/products/electronic ... ?site_id=7

It seems to stand up really well to very heavy use there and is pretty reasonably priced.


Those are available in UK and DE ebay for reasonable price.
I considering ULTRASHIP 55lb/25Kg and I can live with +-2 g accuracy.
I am not making rocket fuel here.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:06 pm
Model: 50 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby bierfest » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:32 pm

These Ultraship scales look perfect. I can grab one for around €36 on ebay. Seems that you can stand a bucket easily on it and the display actually detaches pulls out if your container covers the display. Going to order one of these now. Will save me another bit of time on my brew day!
bierfest
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: Ireland
Model: 50 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby niels » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:38 am

It is also an easy way to measure your water...

- Niels
User avatar
niels
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Location: Belgium
Model: 50 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby malzrohr » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:10 am

bruulog wrote:
Nesto wrote:Don't weigh grain at home (not enough room to store big bags of it!), but this is the scale I use at my LHBS: http://morebeer.com/products/electronic ... ?site_id=7

It seems to stand up really well to very heavy use there and is pretty reasonably priced.


Those are available in UK and DE ebay for reasonable price.
I considering ULTRASHIP 55lb/25Kg and I can live with +-2 g accuracy.
I am not making rocket fuel here.


Actually, the resolution is 10g from >1kg
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:22 pm
Location: Netherlands
Model: 20 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby MattSR » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Still should be fine for homebrewing though right?
MattSR
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:11 am
Location: Dural, NSW, Australia
Model: 50 litres

Re: Weighing scales

Unread postby bierfest » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Better be.. I just bought one!
bierfest
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:39 pm
Location: Ireland
Model: 50 litres


Return to General Brewing Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests