Making "Green" Beer: how to reduce water usage?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

Re: Making "Green" Beer: how to reduce water usage?

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:54 pm

Ha.. Kongs are great toys. Not sure what it means in Norway.. but I have an idea.. Here we call them Dongs :D

Hey, I'm becoming an honorary Norge-ite. We have a Son's of Norway Lodge in a nearby town.. which by wife and I are joining. Every year, my woodcarving club has an RV trip to their great campgrounds in the Sierras. We were told you only have to be interested in Norwegian culture to be a member. :beerbang:

Bill
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby kahobro » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:10 am

BrauTim wrote:Whilst trying to conserve water is a noble, personal and moral act, I think that as homebrewers we would make so little impact to the environment to be insignificant when compared to industry and the volumes of water used for all sorts of manufacturing, electricity production, brewing, you name it etc.

This is what (nearly) everybody says about everything that could do something for the environment, let the others do it, what I do doesn't matter.

It is those savings that add up in the end, waste should be avoided if possible.

I collect the cooling water and flush the toilet with it the first two days after a brewday.
Moneywise it doesn't mean a thing, it is just trying to avoid waste.
kahobro

Unread postby HopSong » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:27 pm

True.. we has some water restrictions going on here in parts of California. Some places are fining homes with excessive usage. Here, my feeling is to definitely conserve water.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 pm

HbgBill wrote:True.. we has some water restrictions going on here in parts of California. Some places are fining homes with excessive usage. Here, my feeling is to definitely conserve water.

I agree with this in areas where water is a precious resource. I live in an area of abundant water and so there is no motivation to conserve other than for reducing the cost of the water bill. Whenever I travel to areas that conserve water, I respect local customs and conserve.

In general I reduce consumption and conserve and reuse all sorts of things where possible, such is the human race that we are all consumers of the earth's resources, it's unavoidable. Conserving water is a direct action. Reducing consumption of other goods and services is an indirect action that has knock on effects back to manufacturing, if we reduce consumption we reduce manufacture and in turn reduce manufacturers use of water (and other resources).

Conservation is a holistic approach, in my personal circumstances I have no need to reduce water because of its abundance. I like McMullens positive take on it, where we could actually be helping the environment by diluting other domestic waste :D
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Tipsy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:32 am

I'm on tank water so it means conserving in Summer but I try to use as much as possible in winter as they are always overflowing.

:idea: maybe I should invest in another tank.
Tipsy

Unread postby kahobro » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 am

I agree with this in areas where water is a precious resource. I live in an area of abundant water and so there is no motivation to conserve other than for reducing the cost of the water bill. Whenever I travel to areas that conserve water, I respect local customs and conserve.

My opinion comes from the assumption that most people use tapwater for cooling etc. I live in The Netherlands a country that nobody thinks of as dry but even here good fresh drinking water should be used with respect.

This week a campaign is started to encourage people to take shorter showers and it takes a really long shower to cool a 20l batch of beer. In that respect water is sparser than the price suggests (as often is the case for natural resources).

Hans
kahobro

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:35 am

Even if you live in a country with a lot of water (as I do) there is still an environmental impact if you are using tap water...
1. Whatever processes are used to clean the water at the water treatment plant
2. The energy used to treat the water and to create the water pressure etc..

This year they have introduced water metres here in Ireland even though it rains quite a lot of the time.
bierfest

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:13 pm

bierfest wrote:This year they have introduced water metres here in Ireland even though it rains quite a lot of the time.

This is why I bought a water barrel. I brew enough that I reckon the charges could be quite high for me if I don't use rain water for cooling. Whereabouts are you based bierfest? I have a 20L BM on the way to me. Looking forward to my first brew, which will probably be an IPA for an upcoming comp in Galway. Nothing like brewing a comp beer on your first outing with a new bit of equipment :shock:
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby McMullan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:21 pm

True. There are costs for mains water supply. But nothing unacceptable, environmentally speaking. We pay our bills and the water companies cover their costs, making a tidy profit in the process. Introducing water metres in places with abundant supplies is nothing more than 'green' profiteering. We can't waste water. Think 'water cycle'.
McMullan

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:04 pm

@Dr Jacoby I am in Longford. We have a small group of 4 brewers here who meet regularly. Im the only one with a BM and im really happy with it. Buit a kegorator last year. Next project will be motorizing the grain mill and am thinking about a conical as I now have a good size old refrigerator unit which I can use as a fermentation chamber. Who drinks all the beer that you brew and what types? 8)
bierfest

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:52 pm

@bierfest I brew pretty much everything! Have done barrel aged beers, sour beers and most styles at this stage. I give most of it away at homebrew club meets in Dublin (I'm based in kildare). I'm a member of the capital brewers club, which is part of the national homebrew club. You should check it out. There are a few of us with braumeisters. We might be making a video for an upcoming Belgian Strong Dark Ale brew. I'll let you know if it goes ahead
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Dr Jacoby wrote:We might be making a video for an upcoming Belgian Strong Dark Ale brew. I'll let you know if it goes ahead

Now that sounds delicious, please send a link if you make the vid or even just the recipe 8)
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby bierfest » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:40 pm

Dr Jacoby wrote:@bierfest I brew pretty much everything! Have done barrel aged beers, sour beers and most styles at this stage. I give most of it away at homebrew club meets in Dublin (I'm based in kildare). I'm a member of the capital brewers club, which is part of the national homebrew club. You should check it out. There are a few of us with braumeisters. We might be making a video for an upcoming Belgian Strong Dark Ale brew. I'll let you know if it goes ahead

@Dr Jacoby.. wow thats a lot of brewing and beer types. Yes would be interested to meet up with BM owners in Ireland. Im in and out of Dublin quite a bit with work. Im also on the national homebrew club forum - Username: 'bier'

Would be very interested to see what others are doing wits their braumeisters.. PM me if there is anything coming up.

Also on the topic of this thread. Has anybody thought about setting their homebrewery up to harvest rain water in large tanks... then using a pump and a UV filter to run their complete brewery on free (minus the cost of the electricty needed for the pump and UV filter :-) ) water and also water that is free from all that crap they put into it at their treatment plants. Do they still put fluoride into the water in Ireland?
bierfest

Unread postby McMullan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:44 pm

bierfest wrote:Also on the topic of this thread. Has anybody thought about setting their homebrewery up to harvest rain water in large tanks... then using a pump and a UV filter to run their complete brewery on free (minus the cost of the electricty needed for the pump and UV filter :-) ) water and also water that is free from all that crap they put into it at their treatment plants. Do they still put fluoride into the water in Ireland?

Depends on how poor your water quality is. Sounds a wee bit excessive. A simple water filter and boil off the chlorine prior to mashing would be more economical (even on a metre) and more effective. Not sure if they add fluoride in your neck of the woods. I guess it depends on how many teeth the average Paddy has in his head. Many less than 32 and they probably decided to add it to your water.
McMullan

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:57 pm

bierfest wrote:...water that is free from all that crap they put into it at their treatment plants...

IMHO it is not so much a question what "they" put into it, but more what they cannot remove from what we (the people) put into it.
Where I live I would not want to use rain water even after simple DYO treatment.
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr

PreviousNext

Return to General Brewing Discussions