How to measure the pitch rate of repitchings?

Any discussion about non-specific Braumeister brewing techniques can be discussed here. E.g. "How to make a starter?", "What's the best way to store my grains?", "Which pH meter do you recommend?", ...

How to measure the pitch rate of repitchings?

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:14 pm

brew a soft blond ale, repitch the yeast in an orval-style beer, and then repitch in the big one.

Hi Dinnerstick,
Sorry the ignorance, but how really do you measure the pitch rate of your repitchings?
Do you distinguish the yeast slurry from the non-yeast one ?
I've read Jamils Yeast book and it sounded a little beat subjective and complex issue!
I've tried ir just for a fast fermentation test and it worked 100% (regarding attenuation off course, forget the flavors...)

NOTE: This topic is split off from the A tribute to Orval discussion. - Niels
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: How to measure the pitch rate of repitchings?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:10 am

the only way to 'measure' cell counts is... to count the cells! i don't do this, i vaguely estimate the cell count from the volume of yeast slurry. if i'm going to repitch a yeast, i try to keep the previous wort clear, no hops and minimal break, trub, etc transferred from the kettle, or i rinse it to eliminate most of the non-yeast. then do a rough estimate from the mrmalty.com website, and then i tend to over pitch based on the numbers calculated there. i figure a bit too much is way better than a bit too little, and in general the things affected by a cell count on the high end of healthy can be altered via recipe and fermentation temperature, so i try for consistency with the yeast and adjust other variables as necessary. with yeasts that i use a lot, and OG in a 'normal' range, i can confidently tell after a few batches how much to add for a good fermentation. with less familiar ones (like the rochefort, which i have only used a couple of times) i am a bit less certain, but take very good notes, checking how the yeast look, how they behave if i need to wake them up in a small starter. the cell count estimates from websites are very vague (by nature) and can differ hugely, so find what works for you and stick with it!
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Return to General Brewing Discussions